The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

At a very close game we had a player go to the line for a one and one. As the shot was at its zenith, a defensive player moved into the lane. No question it was to be a violation, but then the shooters shot missed the rim and hit wide to the right. I was under the basket and had my arm out to signal the first violation on the defense. My partner missed that, and after the shot did not hit rim he pointed to indicate change of direction, other teams ball. After a small chit chat we gave the shooter another shot and pinalized the first offender being the defense. Was this right???

Thanks
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
I beleive that this is some sort of a false simultaneous lane violation. I haven't used it in the context of the free throw shooter missing the basket. BUT, if the defense's violation was clearly before the ball was near the rim, the subsequent offensive violation should be ignored, and we shoot another one.

-----------------------------------------------------------
That's my thought, and I'm sticking to it! Until told to do otherwise by wiser individuals!
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TPS2859
At a very close game we had a player go to the line for a one and one. As the shot was at its zenith, a defensive player moved into the lane. No question it was to be a violation, but then the shooters shot missed the rim and hit wide to the right. I was under the basket and had my arm out to signal the first violation on the defense. My partner missed that, and after the shot did not hit rim he pointed to indicate change of direction, other teams ball. After a small chit chat we gave the shooter another shot and pinalized the first offender being the defense. Was this right???

Thanks
No, this wasn't right.

You penalize only the first violation if both violations are LANE violations (i.e., two players enter early).

If you have a lane violation and another FT violation, as you did, it's a double violation. Since no FT was to follow, go to the arrow.

Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Double Violation---go to AP arrow
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

"You penalize only the first violation if both violations are LANE violations (i.e., two players enter early)."

So, should I teach my players that if an opponent enters the lane early ...then our guys ought to enter the lane early, too? Do all players but the first one get a free pass if all enter the lane early?

Thanks.

Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carldog
"You penalize only the first violation if both violations are LANE violations (i.e., two players enter early)."

So, should I teach my players that if an opponent enters the lane early ...then our guys ought to enter the lane early, too? Do all players but the first one get a free pass if all enter the lane early?

Thanks.

You could but it will not matter. There should be no rebound since the shot will be canceled or, if missed, a replacement awarded.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Teaching them to violate purposely by entering the lane early would serve no advantage.
If your team A is on offense (shooting) and team B enters the lane early, it is a delayed violation until we see if the shot is made or missed. If Team B enters early, followed by team A (lane space player), then your player will get another shot (if missed) because of the B violation (A violation is ignored). If your team A is shooting and your player A enters early, it is an immediate violation, and your shooter loses that shot (even if ball enters basket).
Therefore, the second player "violating" after the first is not a useful coaching technique (it will not involve rebounding action or anything).
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

BigGref,
Not a simulation at all. Girl was VERY nurvous, game on the line and all you know. (or did I read you wrong?)

So to everyone I'm still not clear on what should have happened.

By not hitting the rim considered a lane violation? I did'nt think so.

Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Double Lane Violation

This is in the textbook and has been rules question. Double Violation and go to the Arrow.

Whether a Shooter is nervous or not does not by any means have an impact on the rule or your judgement.

Additionally, if two people violate on the lane, we only ignore the 2nd IF the 1st caused the 2nd. It doesn't happen often, but if two people violate and they are not connected, we need to call a double violation.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Double Lane Violation

Quote:
Originally posted by Twardo17
Additionally, if two people violate on the lane, we only ignore the 2nd IF the 1st caused the 2nd. It doesn't happen often, but if two people violate and they are not connected, we need to call a double violation.
Twardo, welcome to the board. Glad to have the additional input. However, your statement above is only true if the first violation is "faking". If one player fakes a move into the lane and then another player steps in early, we only penalize the fake b/c it "caused" the other violation.

However, if there's normal play, and two players step in (B2 followed by A2), we only penalize B2.

4. If there is a violation first by the free-thrower's opponent followed by the free thrower or a teammate:

a. If both offenders are in a marked lane-space, the second violation is ignored, as in penalty item (2).

b. If the second violation is by the free thrower or a teammate behind the free-throw line extended and the three-point line, both violations are penalized, as in penalty item (3).
c. If a violation by the free thrower follows disconcertion by an opponent, a substitute free throw shall be awarded.
d. If a fake by an opponent causes a teammate of the free thrower to violate, only the fake is penalized.

Man, I love cut 'n' paste! Thanks, Tony.

Keep on postin', Twardo.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2004, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TPS2859
BigGref,
Not a simulation at all. Girl was VERY nurvous, game on the line and all you know. (or did I read you wrong?)

So to everyone I'm still not clear on what should have happened.

By not hitting the rim considered a lane violation? I did'nt think so.
B1 violates AFTER the shot has been released.

A1 violates as the shot hits nothing.

Double violation.

Had B1 stepped in before the release, then you can, and should, rule disconcertion. But since the shot is well on the way to the basket when B1 violates, there is no disconcertion. You missed it.