The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Has the rule regarding hanging on the rim changed since the advent of the spring loaded variety? I seem to recall at one time players could hang from the rim to prevent injury to themselves or another player but that was it. Boy it seems like guys not only hang on the rim now but go ahead and do a chin up or two before the dismount.

As you might imagine, this certainly does not come up all that often in my JV girls games ;) but as I catch games on TV, I see it frequently.

I've been wondering about this for some time now and thought "There is only one place to find out." So, here I am...

Thanks folks.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

The high school rule (NFHS) has not changed. A player can grasp the ring to prevent injury. Any grasping of the rule other than to prevent injury is a technical foul.

I don't know the exact wording of the collegiate or NBA rules, but I see the application of the rule gets looser the higher you go. In addition to chin-ups on the rim in the NBA, I believe I have seen a Healy in a pike position and a salto with a half-twist (those are gymnastics moves on the high bar.. and yes, I had to look those up in Google I'm proud to say).

Case 10.3.5 D

Z
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Zebra"You da"man!!!!
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

He can hang to prevent injury but if he does a chin up, his arse is mine.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Gave a T for this tonight. No chinup, but pulled on the rim (bent the elbows) and swung from one side to the other. Bango!
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

BTW, I really do like the way NCAA rules handle this (and other non-unsportsmanlike T's). Don't count it toward his 5 fouls for DQ. Don't count it toward the bonus. Just shoot the shots and keep playing. It's just not on the same level as cursing at the official, so make the penalty a little less. JMHO.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 02:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
The high school rule (NFHS) has not changed. A player can grasp the ring to prevent injury. Any grasping of the rule other than to prevent injury is a technical foul.

I don't know the exact wording of the collegiate or NBA rules, but I see the application of the rule gets looser the higher you go. In addition to chin-ups on the rim in the NBA, I believe I have seen a Healy in a pike position and a salto with a half-twist (those are gymnastics moves on the high bar.. and yes, I had to look those up in Google I'm proud to say).

Case 10.3.5 D

Z
Z -- you know you're really addicted when you start looking stuff up to make a better post. And it was definitely worth it this time, too funny!
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 04:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
... Any grasping of the rule other than to prevent injury is a technical foul.
Grasping at the rules... that's what we do.

and to prevent injury!

I've grasped at a few that, in the end, really hurt.

That was end as in finish, conclusion, termination.

(I could see some more funnies coming after that comment)
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 09:01am
In Memoriam

Question

What kind of player illegally hangs and swings on the rim?

... An overzealous subtitute, an angry player ?

mick
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
What kind of player illegally hangs and swings on the rim?

... An overzealous subtitute, an angry player ?
Maybe just overzealous.

BTW, for all you NBA-bashers who say they never enforce anything, Quentin Richardson got a T last night in the Clips/Jazz game for a chin-up/backboard slap. Just thought I'd share.
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
BTW, for all you NBA-bashers who say they never enforce anything, Quentin Richardson got a T last night in the Clips/Jazz game for a chin-up/backboard slap. Just thought I'd share.
Had one of those on Tuesday night.

42 slaps the backboard after a couple of layups.

During a FT, a step back and talk to coach. "I need help with 42. He slaps the backboard when he makes a layup. And that's not different than a defender slapping the board for no reason." "I'll take care of it, ref."

Next time down floor, I hear the caoch tell the player. I see the player respond. Good!

A minute later, WHACK! on the backboard. WHACK! on 42.

No big deal, they're up by 30 but coach takes 42 out. Sees me after the game and syas that "We'll be cleaning that up in practice tomorrow."
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 11:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Had one of those on Tuesday night.

During a FT, a step back and talk to coach. "I need help with 42. He slaps the backboard when he makes a layup. And that's not different than a defender slapping the board for no reason." "I'll take care of it, ref."

Next time down floor, I hear the caoch tell the player. I see the player respond. Good!

No big deal, they're up by 30 but coach takes 42 out. Sees me after the game and syas that "We'll be cleaning that up in practice tomorrow."
That's a good 'un !
Old Sat Jan 24, 2004, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

No big deal, they're up by 30 but coach takes 42 out. Sees me after the game and syas that "We'll be cleaning that up in practice tomorrow." [/B][/QUOTE]

Another good coach that will TCB and a good ref that will ask for it. Thanks, Stan