The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Unhappy

Last night, boys Var. Visiting team is 0-11 and has traveled from out of our area to this game. So my partner and I want to make sure that we're on our games; don't want them to feel their getting "homered".

Fast forward. . . 3 minutes left in the game and the poor visitors are down by 30. Coach never said a peep, he knows he's just being out-played. Home player drives the lane and gets clobbered right in front of the rim. Partner and I both have a whistle. As my partner goes to report, visiting player says to me -- absolutely serious -- "We're gonna lose this game if you keep calling cheap fouls like that."

Unbelievable.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Well remember..if they win it's because they worked hard and earned it. If they lose it because of the referees...
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Last night, boys Var. Visiting team is 0-11 and has traveled from out of our area to this game. So my partner and I want to make sure that we're on our games; don't want them to feel their getting "homered".

Fast forward. . . 3 minutes left in the game and the poor visitors are down by 30. Coach never said a peep, he knows he's just being out-played. Home player drives the lane and gets clobbered right in front of the rim. Partner and I both have a whistle. As my partner goes to report, visiting player says to me -- absolutely serious -- "We're gonna lose this game if you keep calling cheap fouls like that."

Unbelievable.
Are you *sure* he wasn't joking? I know I would have treated it like a joke and laughed at....err....with him.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

har har har

Quote:
3 minutes left in the game and the poor visitors are down by 30. ... Home player drives the lane and gets clobbered ... visiting player says to me -- absolutely serious -- "We're gonna lose this game if you keep calling cheap fouls like that."

Unbelievable.
"You might be right, Buddy. I think you better kick in your "A" game."
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
3 minutes left in the game and the poor visitors are down by 30....visiting player says to me -- absolutely serious -- "We're gonna lose this game if you keep calling cheap fouls like that."
Now THAT is optimism! I assume you backed off and let them work their magic?
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Sad part is, if they were really that bad, he was probably right. The only way they could win was for them to foul early and often, and for you to ignore it. What a shame you couldn't do that for them
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
-- absolutely serious -- "We're gonna lose this game if you keep calling cheap fouls like that."

Unbelievable.
Maybe you just needed him to define what he meant by "lose".
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 04:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Unbelievable.
Hmmm. "That depends on what the definition of "if" is."
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 04:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Similar comment.

Chuck,

If it makes you feel any better. I had a kid last Friday try to tell me, "how can you make that call with the score the way it is?" The game was a 40 point blowout. And it was the first half. I just told him, "I think you have more to worry about than what we call at this point." He did not say a word the rest of the game to anyone.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by garote
Well remember..if they win it's because they worked hard and earned it. If they lose it because of the referees...
The beauty of CORFing . . . .
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 07:19pm
Administrator

Quote:

Unbelievable.

I am sure everybody will agree with me that even though the game is a 30 point blowout, this just might be the time to whack the player.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 08:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Unbelievable.

I am sure everybody will agree with me that even though the game is a 30 point blowout, this just might be the time to whack the player.

MTD, Sr.

I won't. I'd rather laugh and say something like "you can't be serious" as I'm getting away from him. Actually, I probably wouldn't say anything and would be trying to get done and get out.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:

Unbelievable.

MTD, Sr.
No Mark, I think it's time to just let the game die a quick and painless death.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 10:11pm
Administrator

I would agree with you all about ignoring the player if there was less than one minute to play, but when there are three minutes or more left as in Chuck's play, I think that you have to assess the technical. There is way too much time left in the game for more things to happen in the game and the technical sends a message.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 10:17pm
Administrator

I would agree with you all about ignoring the player if there was less than one minute to play, but when there are three minutes or more left as in Chuck's play, I think that you have to assess the technical. There is way too much time left in the game for more things to happen in the game and the technical sends a message.
Toledo, Ohio