The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   False Double Interpretation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/1181-false-double-interpretation.html)

JamieSlick Mon Dec 04, 2000 04:14pm

I'm reading a case situation from the NCAA website that reads: After a field goal by B-1, with two minutes left to play, player B-2 reaches through the end line and slaps the ball from the hands of A-1. The official assesses an indirect technical foul for delay of game against B-2. Prior to the administration of the penalty for the indirect technical foul, A-1 taunts and baits B-2. Player A-1 is assessed a direct technical foul for his act.

I was reading the 99 NCAA rule book and the case book reads that reaching through the plane to slap the ball away from a thrower in is not a delay of game penalty, but rather a intentional technical foul, which would be two shots , not one.
Help on this one, please. What should we do in this situation? I see false double, but the question is whether to give Team A one shot or two shots. I originally thought 2 shots but the NCAA website says one. Just wanted some feedback!

mick Mon Dec 04, 2000 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally posted by JamieSlick
I'm reading a case situation from the NCAA website that reads: After a field goal by B-1, with two minutes left to play, player B-2 reaches through the end line and slaps the ball from the hands of A-1. The official assesses an indirect technical foul for delay of game against B-2. Prior to the administration of the penalty for the indirect technical foul, A-1 taunts and baits B-2. Player A-1 is assessed a direct technical foul for his act.

I was reading the 99 NCAA rule book and the case book reads that reaching through the plane to slap the ball away from a thrower in is not a delay of game penalty, but rather a intentional technical foul, which would be two shots , not one.
Help on this one, please. What should we do in this situation? I see false double, but the question is whether to give Team A one shot or two shots. I originally thought 2 shots but the NCAA website says one. Just wanted some feedback!

One shot on Indirect Technicals is new this year, Jamie in Mens' and Womens' game.

rockyroad Mon Dec 04, 2000 04:49pm

Don't use the 99 rule book anymore!! The whole section on T's was changed...some are 1 shot, some are two...some were changed to indirect...most resume play from the point of interruption, but not all...get the new book and read it.

hoopsrefBC Tue Dec 05, 2000 03:54am

Jamie ask Dudds about all the new changes... Have you written the CIAU exam yet?
SH
keep smiling

Todd VandenAkker Tue Dec 05, 2000 09:08am

Quote:

What should we do in this situation? I see false double, but the question is whether to give Team A one shot or two shots. I originally thought 2 shots but the NCAA website says one. Just wanted some feedback!
Jamie,

I believe you should go with what the NCAA website says. Which means: one shot for Team A for the (delay of game) indirect technical on B2, two shots for Team B for the (unsporting) direct technical on A1, then resume play with the throw-in by Team A and allow them to run the endline. I'm not sure about the order of free-throws, but it won't really matter since you still resume with the throw-in.

JamieSlick Wed Dec 06, 2000 12:49am

I realize that the Technical penalties have changed from last year, but my question is about the interpretation. The 99 book says slaaping the ball out of an opponent's hands during a throw in is an intentional technical foul, which is a two shots plus the ball penalty. The case in the website says this is a delay of game penalty, which is a one shot penalty plus continue. Which is it in this situation: One shot or 2 shots? (or more directly delay of game indirect technical or intentional technical)

JamieSlick

bob jenkins Wed Dec 06, 2000 08:24am

Quote:

I realize that the Technical penalties have changed from last year, but my question is about the interpretation. The 99 book says slaaping the ball out of an opponent's hands during a throw in is an intentional technical foul, which is a two shots plus the ball penalty. The case in the website says this is a delay of game penalty, which is a one shot penalty plus continue. Which is it in this situation: One shot or 2 shots? (or more directly delay of game indirect technical or intentional technical)

JamieSlick

One shot. The two-shot T's are (generally) for unsporting conduct. This isn't.

10-3-20.