The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Our side!

Chuck, I'm sure happy you are a referree and not a coach because I like to have guys like you on my team. I can see that you can take a little heat and like a good battle. I could get my hinder in a binder and I know that you would do the best that you could to help me out. That's the kind of partner I like when I take the floor. Likewise, "I will be there when you need me!"
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Two things:

1. 6-7-1 states that a ball is dead when a goal is made.

So why not stop it immediately after the basket but before the ball is inbounded? You could be stopping the clock but not creating a dead ball.

2. 1-10-1 says that the basket shall consist of a white cord mesh net suspended from beneath the ring.

If the net is not hanging freely beneath the ring the basket is an illegal piece of equipment. If you wouldn't start the game that way how can you continue? Are there any other instances where we continue playing with illegal equipment?

Or are you saying that if the ball had already been inbounded that we should way until the team that caused the net to get hung up gets the ball back, therefore not penalizing the opponent?
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dubby
So why not stop it immediately after the basket but before the ball is inbounded?
Dubby, please see my previous comments:
Quote:
We're talking about interrupting the flow of the game for no good reason. If you stop the game to get the net down, you give the scoring team plenty of time to set up their press; or to get a sub into the game at an opportune moment; or you may take away the long outlet pass. Why do that for something that has no bearing on the game at all? I don't get it.
Quote:
2. 1-10-1 says that the basket shall consist of a white cord mesh net suspended from beneath the ring.

If the net is not hanging freely beneath the ring the basket is an illegal piece of equipment. If you wouldn't start the game that way how can you continue? Are there any other instances where we continue playing with illegal equipment?

You ever use a ball that didn't have the NFHS stamp? You ever use an alternating possession arrow that had one of the lights burned out? You ever work a game where one of the kids has a "1" taped on his jersey so that there's no duplicate numbers? You ever work on a floor where the division line is painted over by the school logo?

The point of the net hanging is so that you can tell when the ball goes through it. It moves. Well, if it's flipped up, don't you think it'll move the next time the ball goes through? Come on, Dubby. Please be serious.

Quote:
Or are you saying that if the ball had already been inbounded that we should way until the team that caused the net to get hung up gets the ball back, therefore not penalizing the opponent?
Sigh. I've already said quite clearly what I mean. Do not stop the clock to pull the net down. Wait for a natural break in the game.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Sigh. I've already said quite clearly what I mean. Do not stop the clock to pull the net down. Wait for a natural break in the game.
I hear what you're saying Chuck, I just respectfully disagree. It's not specifically addressed in the rules and everyone around here stops to fix it too. Maybe it'll never bite you, but the first time a shot doesn't go through because the net was wrapped, have fun with that one (and yes, I really have seen it happen). I'd rather deal with a coach who thought he was going to run a fastbreak off a made field goal than a basket that popped out.

Z
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 06:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dubby
Two things:

Soooooo....you're saying that if the ball goes through when the net's up there on the ring, you're gonna wave the shot off for having been scored in an illegal basket?

I can see it now. A down 4 with a few seconds to go. A1 scores, and the net hangs up. B1 takes the ball out for a quick throw-in, The throw-in is stolen by A2 right under the basket. A2 goes up to shoot...and the referee blows his whistle because the net is hung up. Just to make it interesting, let's say that time now runs out within the allowed 1 second lag time for the timer to stop the clock.

Remember, be consistent if you're gonna call this. Gotta call it in all situations.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
I disagree. I think the whistle should be blown immediately when the net becomes stuck after a made basket.

Tough luck if it helps one team and hurts the other.

This is no different thatn when the ball, as it comes through the net, hit someone bounces to midcourt. The whistle is blown and the ball retrieved to resume the play.

Fix the net and continue. A net that is flipped over the ring can certainly change the outcome of a try that contacts the rim in that area. One that is hung up but entirely below the ring, while not likely, may affect the outcome of a try.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
This is no different thatn when the ball, as it comes through the net, hit someone bounces to midcourt.
With all due respect, Camron, (and as usual, I absolutely mean that sincerely) that statement is obviously false. If the ball bounces to midcourt, the clock continues to run, shortening the game time. This clearly has an effect on the game. We don't stop the game in that situation b/c of the location of the ball; we stop the game to make sure that the kids get the full 16 minutes of playing time. That clearly affects the game. The flipped net does nothing to affect the game.

Quote:
A net that is flipped over the ring can certainly change the outcome of a try that contacts the rim in that area.
While remotely possible, it happens so infrequently (less than once in 25 years, in my experience) that it is not worth interrupting the game for.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2004, 10:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust

I disagree. I think the whistle should be blown immediately when the net becomes stuck after a made basket.

The NF at least addressed this last year I believe. They had a comment in the NF/Referee Magazine Basketball Guidebook. They said at the very least to not stop it all night if it happen, but to maybe do it if it happen the first time. After that, you either need to change the net or let it alone. And they also put some responsibility on the Game Management to make sure this did not happen on a regular basis. I can see stopping the game once or twice, but I would not do it all night if it kept happening. But that is just me.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 21, 2004, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

I've don't stop the clock to unflip a net.

I don't intend to ever stop the clock to unflip a net.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2004, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Ok I am officially driving the leave the net alone bandwagon. Had a soph game last nite, stayed to watch the JV game which followed. 2 times the net in the JV game got hung up, either no one noticed it or they didn't want to stop the game. What ever the reason there were no problems at all with leaving it hung up, and there were some pretty "knowledgeable" fans helping us out, and they didn't even say anything....so everyone hop on....plenty of room, the wagon leaves in 15 minutes for a trip to all known basketball venues...