The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
On Wednesday night, I will be nominated to run for president of our local association.

1) Wish me luck!

2) One of the things I'm going to campaign on is instilling and overseeing a mentoring program and a "crew" system where certain guys that get along call with one another on a fairly regular basis. Does anyone have a model for this that you could share with me?

3) The incumbent will be tough to beat...Wish me luck!!!
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 08:16pm
In Memoriam

Good luck, Big Guy!

Tony probably has a good model of permanent crews.

mick
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 01:36am
Official Forum Member

As past president of our local assoc, I think it's similar to being a boat owner.

The two best days of being a boat owner are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

The two best days of being association president are the day you're elected and the day you become past president. :-)

Z
Old Mon Jan 19, 2004, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

AZ has used a crew system for the last several years.

The way we work is to assign different partners for the first part of the season and holiday tournaments, then primarily assign set crews once league play begins.

This system has good points and bad points.

Good points:
- Crews enable officials to become familiar with one another so they are comfortable with each other on the court. This is one less thing for each official to worry about near the end of a barnburner game.
- The early season games provide mentoring opportunities for experienced officials to work with newer officials.

Bad points:
- Officials can become complacent with each other or incorporate "unofficial" mechanics and signals that only the two partners understand. When they have to do a game with anyone other than their "regular" partner, proper mechanics and signals may be rusty.
- Crews can stay together too long. I recommend that a crew stay together no more than 3 seasons.

I like the crew system, myself. I think the good outweighs the bad, if the system is run properly. I like knowing what my partner was doing or where he would be near the end of a tight game.