The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ok, NCAA game today. Low skill level. First two minutes of the game. . .

I'm Lead, table-side, in 3-whistle crew. Ball is directly in front of Trail. A5 and B5 jostling for position on low block, my side. Their arms get kind of tangled (but no holding) and after just a second, they separate. While A5's arms are still in the air, B5 turns and throws an elbow into A5's chest.

I come out with. . . intentional. Sigh.

Even as my arms went up, I didn't like it. First foul of the game. As I report the foul, and the coach is telling me how terrible the call is, I tell him it's away from the ball, it's with the elbow, and he did it on purpose. Textbook intentional.

And I still don't like it. I don't even know what I'm looking for here, but thought I'd share it.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

What did your partners think?
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

They both felt the same way I did. Textbook call; maybe not appropriate for the game situation, tho.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 10:51pm
Administrator

Chuck,

When B5 turned, was it his momentum that caused the contact with A5, or did B5 turn and decide (in your judgement) to pop A5 in the chest with is forearm? If it is the former, then a common foul is the correct call, if it is the latter, then an intentional (or flagrant, but that is another thread) personal foul is the correct call. From what you have said about the feedback that you received from your partners, then I think that you made the correct decision.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 10:56pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Attaboy !

Good call, Chuck!
Crybaby Coach had to cry to back up his player.

RE: Game sitch - Let it go... it won't get better.
mick
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
I know that you know...but the KISS method applies here to a degree. Did he INTENTIONALLY bust the boy in the ribs with the bow, or did he just catch him in a funny spot.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 11:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BK
I know that you know...but the KISS method applies here to a degree. Did he INTENTIONALLY bust the boy in the ribs with the bow, or did he just catch him in a funny spot.
Sooners hire Nebraska Coach.
That was intentional!
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
That was intentional!
Spartans beat Wolverines.

That was.....unexpected?

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
They both felt the same way I did. Textbook call; maybe not appropriate for the game situation, tho.
Seems to me you're not liking it because the coach didn't like it. Or was it the time of the game that you didn't like? Did it create problems with the coach for the rest of the game?
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 03:02am
In Memoriam

Quote:

I come out with. . . intentional.

Even as my arms went up, I didn't like it. First foul of the game. As I report the foul, and the coach is telling me how terrible the call is, I tell him it's away from the ball, it's with the elbow, and he did it on purpose. Textbook intentional.

And I still don't like it. I don't even know what I'm looking for here, but thought I'd share it.

If you didn't like the call, you probably shouldn't have called it.

Did you make the call too quick, maybe? Nothing wrong with just the closed fist in the air, followed by a small pause before you make the call. Even on an intentional foul. Gives you time to make that final decision.

Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by BK
That was intentional!
AND 1!!!
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Chuck,

When B5 turned, was it his momentum that caused the contact with A5, or did B5 turn and decide (in your judgement) to pop A5 in the chest with is forearm?
He definitely turned, took a look, and planted it on him. I really do think he did it on purpose.

To answer Tony's question, I didn't like it b/c of the game situation. Less than two minutes in, and it was the first foul of the game. It's one of those situations where the experienced guys say, "Don't wake up the coach". Well, that call is obviously going to wake him up at that point of the game.

I think it was probably defendable either way (common or intentional), and so in that particular circumstance, the common foul might've been more appropriate. Wonder if I can get the game tape. . .
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

i ntentional

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChuckElias
[B]
Quote:
Chuck,

I think it was probably defendable either way (common or intentional), and so in that particular circumstance, the common foul might've been more appropriate. Wonder if I can get the game tape. . .
The key here is "low skill level". You have to factor that into any call you make in that game.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 12:47pm
In Memoriam

Re: intentional

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
[/B]
The key here is "low skill level". You have to factor that into any call you make in that game.

[/B][/QUOTE]What does the skill level of the players have to do with whether you're gonna call it an intentional foul, or not?

An elbow is an elbow at any skill level,age level, etc.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

I know exactly what you mean, Chuck. I had the same thing in a game Friday night. A girl deliberately reached behind her and slapped a girl going up the court. I called intentional. Was it? Yes. Was it a good call for that game and that time in the game, probably not.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 12:59pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Chuck,

When B5 turned, was it his momentum that caused the contact with A5, or did B5 turn and decide (in your judgement) to pop A5 in the chest with is forearm?
He definitely turned, took a look, and planted it on him. I really do think he did it on purpose.

To answer Tony's question, I didn't like it b/c of the game situation. Less than two minutes in, and it was the first foul of the game. It's one of those situations where the experienced guys say, "Don't wake up the coach". Well, that call is obviously going to wake him up at that point of the game.

You did the right thing. It may have been the first foul of the game, but it also sent a message to all of the players that cheap shots are not going to be tolerated today.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio