The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 10:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Soph boys tonight. H 47, V45. Thought we might go OT, but H got a clean shot from 2 feet away with about 5 seconds left. The game was intense, and I felt on top of it the whole time. I felt like I finally had a good grasp of Tower, and I did a lot better keeping my eyes off the ball.
V is up by 4 to 6 for most of the 2nd half, and inexplicably decides to go into this funky stall offense. Sixty combined points in the 1st half turned into 30 combined points in the 2nd half. I had forgotten about how much the 4 corner offense can throw a wrench into 2 man mechanics. I found myself looking "through" A2 & B2 to watch the ball with A1 & B1 across court from me.

Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 10:57pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Soph boys tonight. H 47, V45. Thought we might go OT, but H got a clean shot from 2 feet away with about 5 seconds left. The game was intense, and I felt on top of it the whole time. I felt like I finally had a good grasp of Tower, and I did a lot better keeping my eyes off the ball.
V is up by 4 to 6 for most of the 2nd half, and inexplicably decides to go into this funky stall offense. Sixty combined points in the 1st half turned into 30 combined points in the 2nd half. I had forgotten about how much the 4 corner offense can throw a wrench into 2 man mechanics. I found myself looking "through" A2 & B2 to watch the ball with A1 & B1 across court from me.

Snag:

Were you staying in the frontcourt close to the sideline or were you working the circle, even to the point of going into the backcourt to get a better angle or observe A1 and B1?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 12:38am
Ref Ump Welsch

Ahhhh, memories of my coaching days coming back!!! I ran a 4 corner offense for the whole game during the first round of our conference tournament and damn near knocked the number 1 seed off. I remember 2 things from that game: the opposing coach said the wrong team won that night (a huge compliment considering they walloped us by 30 some points just a couple of weeks before that), and the zebras occupying corners, with the lead staying in the far corner on the end line while the trail stayed inside of the backcourt on the corner and they basically just stood there the whole time till the ball moved towards the basket. They came up to me and said, thanks, our job was toooooo easy tonight.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2004, 01:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

Snaq:

Were you staying in the frontcourt close to the sideline or were you working the circle, even to the point of going into the backcourt to get a better angle or observe A1 and B1?

MTD, Sr. [/B][/QUOTE]

That's what I was looking for, thanks. I was staying on the sideline, so kept having to move so A2 & B2 weren't obstructing my vision. I had a minor issue with B2 essentially "face guarding" A2. Hands straight up, not allowing a pass to come, with some minor chest contact (no displacement.) A2 was getting frustrated, but he wasn't even attempting to move. My thought was that since B2's actions weren't impeding A2 (since A2 wasn't trying anything anyway), no call.

Anyway, thanks. I knew there was a better way to position myself on this. What I need to work on as T is dropping lower when the ball is on my side of the baseline (L's weak side), and circling up top when the ball is across the court from me.

Adam