The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sure that this has been covered before, but without the search function i can't find it. I'm too lazy to use google .

Tonight, a girl gets hurt, and the coach is beckoned on the court. As this happened in my primary, i tell the coach, that the player must be removed unless he takes a time out. Now he asks me for a 30, i say he must take a full. So he takes the full. My parter later on told me he questioned that call, and we looked it up at halftime. Nowhere in the rulebook did it mention what kind of time out to call.

I'm just wondering if he can use a 30 to get his player back in the game. I was under the impression that a 30 could only be used if he has no more fulls for this purpose. Am I correct?? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

He can take a full or a 30. The player has to be ready to go when the time-out is over.

Z
Old Sat Jan 17, 2004, 02:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ref18

I'm just wondering if he can use a 30 to get his player back in the game. I was under the impression that a 30 could only be used if he has no more fulls for this purpose. Am I correct?? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes,he could have used a 30-second TO to keep the player in the game, if the player was ready to play at the end of the 30 seconds.The coach could also use successive TO's comprised of a 60 second and a 30 second, too, if he wanted to. You were probably thinking about the clarification in this year's rule book that allows a coach to use a 30-second TO when he's requesting the review of a correctible error, if that's all that he has left.

From the "Comments On the 2002-03 Rules Revisions" in last year's rulebook- "This change permits a player who is required to leave the game for blood or injury to remain in the game if the team calls a time-out (60 or 30 second) and the sutuation can be corrected by the end of the time-out".