The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Gray shirts (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11706-gray-shirts.html)

Forksref Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:38pm

Are any states allowing the gray/pin-striped shirt? Is this a college shirt or allowed by high school conferences or states? I see Honigs has it on their web site. Personally, I think we should stay with the black and white striped shirt. (2-1-1) Just wondering if there is some movement toward the gray.

bob jenkins Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Forksref
Are any states allowing the gray/pin-striped shirt? Is this a college shirt or allowed by high school conferences or states? I see Honigs has it on their web site. Personally, I think we should stay with the black and white striped shirt. (2-1-1) Just wondering if there is some movement toward the gray.
Specifically not allowed in NCAA.

Luv4Asian8 Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Forksref
Are any states allowing the gray/pin-striped shirt? Is this a college shirt or allowed by high school conferences or states? ...Just wondering if there is some movement toward the gray.
I just use it in my little league, standard uniform for this league only. But yeah, definitely the zebra stripe is the way to go!

som44 Wed Jan 14, 2004 02:26pm

New Hampshire allows the gray shirts--of course that assumes both refs have one. It is up to the refs. I think they look pretty good.

TriggerMN Wed Jan 14, 2004 03:56pm

Bob-->

I specifically remember a couple of smaller D-1 conferences on the east coast using the gray pinstripes last year. I can't remember which conferences in particular, but it may have been the NEC, MAAC, Patriot, or Colonial. You stated that they are disallowed. Did this change in the offseason?

JRutledge Wed Jan 14, 2004 04:05pm

Used but not allowed.

Quote:

Originally posted by TriggerMN
Bob-->

I specifically remember a couple of smaller D-1 conferences on the east coast using the gray pinstripes last year. I can't remember which conferences in particular, but it may have been the NEC, MAAC, Patriot, or Colonial. You stated that they are disallowed. Did this change in the offseason?

They have never been allowed. Some conferences on their own allowed the officials to wear them. But the NCAA took an official position on them and stated that only the black and white shirts would be allowed. I guess that is something the conferences will have to deal with on their own.

Peace

stripes Wed Jan 14, 2004 05:29pm

I work in a small college league that wears the gray pinstripes. They are ok, but I like the black & whites best.

ref18 Wed Jan 14, 2004 08:36pm

Again, i am going to give everyone the privelege of my opinion ;)

Grey shirts are not a good idea. We have been wearing them for years up in Canada. The major problem is that someone buys their shirt from honigs, another buys a cliff keen shirt. They will most likely vary in colour. How do you think it will look if everyone on a 3-man crew has a different colour shirt on. Up here we're moving away from the greys to the stripes. Stick with the stripes.

Rita C Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:16am

My local, middle school and rec association buys them and gives them to the members. The only problem has been me. I was too small for a medium and a small had to be specially ordered from the factory.

They both look fine.

Rita

SMEngmann Thu Jan 15, 2004 02:34am

Personally I like the grey shirts and I wear them doing some rec ball. I wouldn't mind seeing us change from the Black and Whites, but ref18 has a good point about the color tones.