The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   backcourt (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11705-backcourt.html)

A Pennsylvania Coach Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:36pm

A1, possessing the ball, is trying to pass from her backcourt into the frontcourt. B1 leaps from A's backcourt (B's frontcourt), catches the ball in the air, and lands in B's backcourt.

I know "you are where you are until you get where you are going", but do we have the control necessary to meet the requirements of a backcourt violation before our player lands on the floor with the ball? (Yes, I was Coach B last night.)

Grail Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:37pm

Amongst the things required for a back court violation is team possession in the front court. B never possessed in the front court, thus no back court violation.

Grail

Adam Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:40pm

Actually, B does have control and front court status. However, I believe there is an exception for this play. No rule book handy, so I'm not willing to bet the socks I got for Christmas on it.

gsf23 Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:48pm

FED Rule 9; section 9; article 3

A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw in) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the front court or the backcourt.

[Edited by gsf23 on Jan 14th, 2004 at 11:50 AM]

carldog Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:48pm

from NCAA online rules...

Art. 5. A defensive player shall be permitted to secure control of the ball
while both feet are off the playing court and land with one or both feet in
the back court.
A.R. 21. B1 (a) secures possession of a rebound from Team A’s basket or (b) has the ball
for a throw-in under Team A’s basket. B1 is in the front court of Team A (in other words,
the back court of Team B). B1 attempts a long pass down the playing court to teammate
B2. A2, standing in Team A’s front court close to the division line, leaps and intercepts a
pass by B1, then lands in the back court of Team A with player control. RULING: In both
(a) and (b), no violation has occurred. These are exceptions to the back-court rule. (See
Rule 9-11.6.)

davidw Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
Actually, B does have control and front court status. However, I believe there is an exception for this play. No rule book handy, so I'm not willing to bet the socks I got for Christmas on it.
Snaqwells,

You are correct. 9-9-3. This situation is almost word for word in the casebook.

I see by the time I got my post gsf23 beat me to it.:)

BktBallRef Wed Jan 14, 2004 01:00pm

Adam is correct that FC status is established for B.

But, as gsf23 stated, the rule allows this landing.

Also, last year it was an exception. This year it's been changed to read as a rule, not as an exception.

gsf23 Wed Jan 14, 2004 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by davidw
Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
Snaqwells,

You are correct. 9-9-3. This situation is almost word for word in the casebook.

I see by the time I got my post gsf23 beat me to it.:)

Had the rule book handy this time...

A Pennsylvania Coach Thu Jan 15, 2004 09:01am

Thanks all.