The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Saw a comment in another thread about supporting your partner. What would you do in these two cases.

1. A1 shoots towards their basket. B1 rebounds under A1's basket. You now become trail official. You start the 10 count. A2 and A3 are pressuring B1 who has yet to dribble or pass. You get to about 3 on your 10 count and TWEET. Partner calls three seconds in the lane on B1 who is still in the backcourt.

2. A1 is in backcourt advancing the ball toward their frontcourt. You are trail official and they are on your side of the floor. A1 steps out of bounds just prior to being fouled. Double TWEET. Before you can say anything your partner is at the table reporting the foul.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Talking

At First just suck on your whistle and smile...then at half or at a time out explain what you had and then remind your partner to watch his primary.

If that doesn't work, may the good lord keep and protect you.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Either way, you go to him as quickly as possible.

#1 - tell him A had the ball, there is no 3 seconds.

#2 - tell him you had the player OOB before the foul.

Then tell him to slow the **** down and stop calling all over the floor.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 01:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm tempted to call a conference on the first play, and explain to him that you can't whistle an offensive player for three seconds unless he's actually in his offensive lane. Looks like B1 got whistled for standing in A's lane too long.
Any reason not to do this? I might address the foul situation in the locker room at half time, though.

Adam
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

I think the foul situation is just as easily addressed at the time.. That is one of the easier double whistle situations to rectify....I had the OOB before the foul, or the foul caused the OOB...I would address it there and then if possible..
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

I think you need to correct the first, can probably live with the second by gritting your teeth and talking at halftime or postgame. Especially if the second happened after you already had to consult with your partner on the b/c 3 sec call. If you have multiple overrules, you will soon have coach/player/fan problems.

I believe that you only overrule where it is obviously wrong. The b/c 3 seconds is clearly wrong regardless of what you think you see, while what you see on foul vs OOB is much more judgment.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 08:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think the best support you can give the partner who calls this phantom 3-second violation is to inform him in conference, immediately, that he has the rule wrong. If you allow that call to stand, when 95% of the people in the gym know he kicked it, you both lose credibility and control. It's bad enough when you're right and 75% of the people think you blew it, we don't need to give them that impression any more than necessary.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2004, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

I think I'd address situation A right there on the floor. How did the coach handle it? If he knew anything at all, he probably would have been going nuts over that call, so you'd have no option than to correct him there. That is just so bizarre.

Situation B, I'd probably ignore if it happened just once. If he was calling all over the floor a few times, I'd handle it either during a time out, between quarters, or in the dressing room.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

If this guy had been my partner I would have slapped him in front of the crowd,just to ensure all the fans and coaches you had control of the game and new the rules better than he did.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

I hope that first one really didn't happen or if it did, that your partner was some guy they pulled out of the stands until your real partner showed up.

The second one I think could be handled either way. Tell him you had OOB before the fould or tell him in the locker room after. And if you do both whistle, shouldn't there be some kinda communication there to make sure you both saw the same thing.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gsf23
I hope that first one really didn't happen or if it did, that your partner was some guy they pulled out of the stands until your real partner showed up.

The second one I think could be handled either way. Tell him you had OOB before the fould or tell him in the locker room after. And if you do both whistle, shouldn't there be some kinda communication there to make sure you both saw the same thing.
Unfortunately this guy was not pulled out of the crowd. Second usually if you have a double whistle the official closest or the official covering that area as their primary takes the call. That avoids such situations.