The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   shot or pass (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11666-shot-pass.html)

NorthSide Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:27am

I'm looking for the specific rule in the book:

HS - A1 throws an alley-oop pass from the 28-foot line toward the basket for A2. Ball goes into the basket. 2 or 3 points?

NCAA - Same situation, however, ball doesn't go into the basket, yet hits the rim. If offense team retains the carom, does the shot-clock reset? What's the ruling if the ball does go into the basket? 2 or 3 points?

BktBallRef Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:30am

HS - 3 points.

williebfree Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:32am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
HS - 3 points.
This rule was just changed recently (last year, I believe) so that the official does not have to differentiate between a pass attempt and try for goal.

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 13, 2004 03:21am

Quote:

Originally posted by NorthSide
I'm looking for the specific rule in the book:

HS - A1 throws an alley-oop pass from the 28-foot line toward the basket for A2. Ball goes into the basket. 2 or 3 points?

Rule 5.2.1 covers it, and casebook play 5.2.1SitB covers it exactly.

bob jenkins Tue Jan 13, 2004 08:31am

Quote:

NCAA - Same situation, however, ball doesn't go into the basket, yet hits the rim. If offense team retains the carom, does the shot-clock reset? What's the ruling if the ball does go into the basket? 2 or 3 points?
No, the clock shot doesn't (or shouldn't) reset. 2 points if the ball goes in.

rainmaker Tue Jan 13, 2004 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

No, the clock shot doesn't (or shouldn't) reset. 2 points if the ball goes in.

Bob -- how can the ref tell if the throw was a pass or a shot? I'm not being sarcastic, just asking for advice.

Snake~eyes Tue Jan 13, 2004 04:10pm

I know in lacrosse its a judgement call.
But one example would be a player throwing at his/her own basket. Not a shot. ;)

ChuckElias Tue Jan 13, 2004 04:33pm

Most kids use the jump shot nowadays. If it looks more like a chest pass, then it's probably not a shot. If you really can't tell, then I would call it a try.

Adam Tue Jan 13, 2004 04:54pm

From half court, it's going to look a lot less like a shot than it would from 20 feet away.

Hawks Coach Tue Jan 13, 2004 08:23pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Snaqwells
From half court, it's going to look a lot less like a shot than it would from 20 feet away.
From half court with anything other than the clock running down, and you have a leaper jumping to try a dunk, it isn't hard to guess that this isn't a shot. It is much harder when you are close in to make a definitive determination, but if you have been watching the game, you know if it looks like that player's normal shot. If it does, it was a shot. If not, it was probably a pass.

ref18 Tue Jan 13, 2004 08:42pm

Souldn't the shot clock reset in the NCAA play, because the ball hit the rim?

bob jenkins Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ref18
Souldn't the shot clock reset in the NCAA play, because the ball hit the rim?
Only when a *try* hits the rim -- not when a passs, or a deflected ball, etc., hits the rim.

SMEngmann Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:07am

Along similar lines, I had a situation a while back doing an IM game where a player stopped his dribble behind the arc, threw the ball off the backboard to himself and then passed to a teammate. I let the double dribble go because the player was on the short end of a blowout, but oddly enough, I saw him do the same thing from the next week (I wasn't officiating that game). This play does require the same judgement that NFHS wanted to eliminate with the "every basket made from behind the arc is a 3" rule. One official who I spoke to said that the double dribble should only be called if it happens on the wrong backboard (and therefore can't be a shot). What do you think?

BktBallRef Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:47am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
How can the ref tell if the throw was a pass or a shot? I'm not being sarcastic, just asking for advice.
Juules, a rule of thumb I used.

If my hand goes up, it's a try. :)

If it's a shot from beyond the arc, then your hand is automatically going to go up when you see a shot. If your hand didn't go up, then then the "shot trigger" wasn't pulled.

rainmaker Wed Jan 14, 2004 03:32am

Quote:

Originally posted by SMEngmann
Along similar lines, I had a situation a while back doing an IM game ...
You get games on IM?!? Where do I sign up?