The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Question

I was watching the URI-Xavier game this afternoon, and have a question about the use of replay by the officials. In the second half, a URI player fouled a Xavier player, and the result was pretty brutal. The referee consulted the monitor, and then assessed the URI player a flagrant personal foul. Is it permissible to use the video monitor in that situation to determine the nature of a foul?
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 01:06am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Not for that reason.

Are you sure it was not looked at for timing or scoring purposes? Because if the commentators said that was the reason, I probably would take that with a grain of salt. But they cannot look at the monitor unless they are trying to figure out who came off the bench for a fight. Whether a shot was a 2 or a 3. And whether the time got screwed up and the officials need a reference to correct it properly. If I left anything out forgive me, but that is about it.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCurrie
I was watching the URI-Xavier game this afternoon, and have a question about the use of replay by the officials. In the second half, a URI player fouled a Xavier player, and the result was pretty brutal. The referee consulted the monitor, and then assessed the URI player a flagrant personal foul. Is it permissible to use the video monitor in that situation to determine the nature of a foul?
The officials may use the monitor to determine "if a fight occurred and the individuals who participated
or left the bench area;" (2-5.1a)
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 10:48am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

The officials may use the monitor to determine "if a fight occurred and the individuals who participated
Perhaps the official was using the tape to determine whether the URI player had actually engaged in fighting activity?
Or, they could have consulted the tape for timing or scoring (to see if the shot went in) reasons, and then announced the foul.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[/B]
There seemed to be some question as to whether he threw a punch, so this reasoning seems to fit the bill.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:

Or, they could have consulted the tape for timing or scoring (to see if the shot went in) reasons, and then announced the foul.
If I understand you then this cannot be done. If you're looking at the monitor to resolve a timing issue you can only rule on that.
Old Mon Jan 12, 2004, 11:01am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:

If I understand you then this cannot be done. If you're looking at the monitor to resolve a timing issue you can only rule on that.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The foul could have been predetermined by the refs before they consulted the replay for timing provisions. They just had not announced the call yet. Is that kosher?
Note: I see this has been clarified, in that the officials were actually trying to determine whether the URI player had thrown a punch.