The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Birds Flyin' (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/11602-birds-flyin.html)

zebra44 Sat Jan 10, 2004 03:16pm

Halftime of game last night, one of the JV refs comes in for his bag after watching first half. He informed us that the visiting coach flipped the bird to home fans across from his bench after they were hollering "Siddown" to him. How would you treat this if you observed it happening?

Ref Daddy Sat Jan 10, 2004 03:29pm

unsportsman like

T

Jurassic Referee Sat Jan 10, 2004 03:44pm

Quote:

Originally posted by zebra44
Halftime of game last night, one of the JV refs comes in for his bag after watching first half. He informed us that the visiting coach flipped the bird to home fans across from his bench after they were hollering "Siddown" to him. How would you treat this if you observed it happening?
Well, I would have tried my damndest to be professional, and not laugh out loud.

Then, I woulda whispered in his ear to please not do that.

BktBallRef Sat Jan 10, 2004 05:11pm

Per state association requirements, he would have received a flagrant T, and the state would have suspended him for the next 2 games.

Ref Ump Welsch Sat Jan 10, 2004 05:58pm

I would have T'd him up. I wouldn't care if he wasn't directing it at me. There's just no place for that kind of behavior. Matter of fact, at our state association rules meeting, the executive director said something like this would fall under the taunting rule. So, therefore, a T is justified.

ChuckElias Sat Jan 10, 2004 09:38pm

How are you going to assess a T if you weren't on the floor at the time? You didn't see it, you don't even have jurisdiction at that point, do you? You're going to assess the T based on info provided by someone who is not an official on that game?

I'm legitimately curious as to whether you can do anything about it.

TriggerMN Sat Jan 10, 2004 09:49pm

Chuck, the original question was what to do if you actually observed it happening...

BktBallRef Sat Jan 10, 2004 09:51pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
How are you going to assess a T if you weren't on the floor at the time? You didn't see it, you don't even have jurisdiction at that point, do you? You're going to assess the T based on info provided by someone who is not an official on that game?

I'm legitimately curious as to whether you can do anything about it.

Chuck, from the original post.

Quote:

How would you treat this if you observed it happening?

ChuckElias Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:04pm

In the immortal words of Emily Litella, "Never mind!"

dblref Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:10pm

Quote:

That ain't what she said. She actually said, "You ain't never had a mind." :D

zebra44 Sun Jan 11, 2004 04:52pm

I'd like more thoughts on this. How about if he yells back at the fans, is that worthy of unsportsmanlike Tech? Is "The Bird" recognized as an unsportsmanlike act in the rule book? What he does to the fans has no effect on floor play.

BktBallRef Sun Jan 11, 2004 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally posted by dblref
Quote:

I believe it was actually Roseanne Rosanna Danna who said, "Never mind." :)

BktBallRef Sun Jan 11, 2004 05:27pm

Quote:

I'd like more thoughts on this. How about if he yells back at the fans, is that worthy of unsportsmanlike Tech? Is "The Bird" recognized as an unsportsmanlike act in the rule book? What he does to the fans has no effect on floor play.
10-4-1
Commit an unsporting foul. This includes, but is not limited to, acts or conduct such as:
c. Using profane or inappropriate language or obscene gestures.

Nowhere does it say that it has to be directed at someone on the floor.

Dan_ref Sun Jan 11, 2004 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:

Originally posted by dblref
Quote:

I believe it was actually Roseanne Rosanna Danna who said, "Never mind." :)

As my uncle, Santanna Rosannadanna once said to me:
"My little Rosanne Rosannadanna, it's always something. If it's not one thing, it's another thing."

BigJoe Sun Jan 11, 2004 05:55pm

At first when I read this post I was leaning toward a flagrant T on the coach. But I gave it some more thought and would only go with a run of the mill T. If it was directed at me or my partner(s) I would run the coach with a flagrant T. There would also be an incident report filed when I got home.