The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 16, 1999, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Question

Q44 on NFHS test asks whether it is possible to start the second period by administering a penalty for a personal foul? The question caused me to reflect on a game I officiated last year: Start of 4Q - I handed A1 ball for throw-in and started count. B1 pushed A2 who was in position to receive throw in pass. I called intentional foul (personal?). A2 shot two free throws and Team A was awarded ball out of bounds for throw in. We set possession arrow toward Team B. Was that correct?

What if the foul would have occurred before handing the ball to A1? Technical? Did 4th period start when I handed ball to A1 for throw-in? Are all dead balls fouls technical? As you can see the question stirred some memories. Anyone want to illuminate?
Old Tue Nov 16, 1999, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Q44 on NFHS test asks whether it is possible to start the second period by administering a penalty for a personal foul?

No, it's not possible since the second period starts when the ball is put at disposal of the thrower and a personal foul cannot happen while the ball is dead (exp. airborne shooter).

Start of 4Q - I handed A1 ball for throw-in and started count. B1 pushed A2 who was in position to receive throw in pass. I called intentional foul (personal?).

Note: you can call just a common foul in this situation if the foul wasn't actually "intentional". In either case, if a foul isn't a technical foul, it's a personal foul.

A2 shot two free throws and Team A was awarded ball out of bounds for throw in. We set possession arrow toward Team B. Was that correct?

If the foul occurred before the throw-in ended (e.g. released), then you shouldn't flip the arrow. See Rule 6-3-5.

What if the foul would have occurred before handing the ball to A1? Technical? Did 4th period start when I handed ball to A1 for throw-in?

Yes to all.

Are all dead balls fouls technical?

Yes, except those by an airborne shooter after the ball is dead.

As you can see the question stirred some memories. Anyone want to illuminate?

Yes. Re-read Rule 4-19, Rule 6-3, and their corresponding cases.