The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

I was doing a girls varsity game tonight, packed house and a close game late (under 15 seconds left, team B up by 1). Team A is out of timeouts and my partner had a held ball call and A1 goes down hard and is slow to get up. My partner beckons the coach onto the floor and A1 slowly gets up as the coach starts to talk to A1 and other team A players start to gather around. When it became apparant to me that coach A was trying to coach rather than determine if A1 was OK, I informed him that he needed to leave the court and replace A1. My question is: can there be a technical assessed for faking an injury in order to gain the advantage essentially an excess timeout to set up a last second play? Also, how would you have handled this situation?
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 09:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
I was doing a girls varsity game tonight, packed house and a close game late (under 15 seconds left, team B up by 1). Team A is out of timeouts and my partner had a held ball call and A1 goes down hard and is slow to get up. My partner beckons the coach onto the floor and A1 slowly gets up as the coach starts to talk to A1 and other team A players start to gather around. When it became apparant to me that coach A was trying to coach rather than determine if A1 was OK, I informed him that he needed to leave the court and replace A1. My question is: can there be a technical assessed for faking an injury in order to gain the advantage essentially an excess timeout to set up a last second play? Also, how would you have handled this situation?
Break up the huddle and say, "Okay, let's go!"
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

just keep em away

In addition to what Mick offered if I have an injured player, then I'm only going to allow the trainer and the coach to work with the player.

I get the other players away. That way the coach can do what's he's there for.

If he wants then to gather them around, disperse them quickly with the let's play.

No need for a T in ths situation.

Thanks
David
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Question

what was your mechanics during injury(nfhs)always wondering if im doing the right thing during injurys?
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with mick and David. Once you beckon him onto the floor, give him time to work with the player. Simply keeps the other players away. If he tries to coach, simply step in and stop it. We run into this a lot in football.

roadking, if a player goes down and is in danger of getting further injury or is obviously injured badly, stop play immediately. If the play is going the other way, the T should go to the player and stand near him/her. That tells everyone, "I'm aware the player is hurt and I have things under control." Once the ball is stopped or after a shot, kill the play.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

BBR, what are the proper 2man mechanics when the trainer is on the floor, i have in the past just stood on the center court line, close to the table to seperate teams as my partners stood by injured player, i have never read any proper mechanics for these situations. thanks for any input, always trying to get better.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 01:41pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by roadking
BBR, what are the proper 2man mechanics when the trainer is on the floor, i have in the past just stood on the center court line, close to the table to seperate teams as my partners stood by injured player, i have never read any proper mechanics for these situations. thanks for any input, always trying to get better.
Once the coach or trainer is attending, and since I am not trained in first aid, I keep my distance while observing the court. Maintain decorum.
mick
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roadking
After about 30 seconds, go over and encourage the player to get up and go to the bench for further treatment. "We don't get paid by the hour" and "we have to kep on schedule" are good lines.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
After about 30 seconds, go over and encourage the player to get up and go to the bench for further treatment. "We don't get paid by the hour" and "we have to kep on schedule" are good lines.
The indicates Bob is joking.

At least, I hope that's what it's indicating.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

My question has less to do with the actual situation as it does a hypothetical. In the game situation, I got in there as soon as it looked like the coach was starting to coach, however, the coach has 30 seconds to replace the injured player, or, if you look at it cynically, a free 30 second TO. If we have someone obviously fake an injury in order to gain the 30 seconds to replace that player, would that situation warrent a technical foul?
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Your call

Quote:
My question has less to do with the actual situation as it does a hypothetical. In the game situation, I got in there as soon as it looked like the coach was starting to coach, however, the coach has 30 seconds to replace the injured player, or, if you look at it cynically, a free 30 second TO. If we have someone obviously fake an injury in order to gain the 30 seconds to replace that player, would that situation warrent a technical foul?
Personally I think its going to be a hard sell for you as the official to KNOW that someone is faking an injury.

However, the coach cannot enter the court unless beckoned by the officials. So if you think he's faking then let the trainers attend to him and not the coach.

The best way IMO to keep him doing his job (taking care of the player injured) is to get all of the other players away.

Then he can't coach. Still I don't see the merit for a T in this situation.

Simply tell him, coach you're here for the injury, if you want to coach then I'm charging you with a TO.

That should get his attention.

Thanks
David
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If we have someone obviously fake an injury in order to gain the 30 seconds to replace that player, would that situation warrent a technical foul?
You don't want to go down that path.

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
However, the coach cannot enter the court unless beckoned by the officials. So if you think he's faking then let the trainers attend to him and not the coach.
That's not gonna fly. You're not going to be able to let the trainer come out and not allow the coach to come out. If he's got a player down and you allow someone to attend to him, there's no way you're going to be able to prevent him from going to his player.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

I wold be very careful of assuming that an injury is faked. Just because the coach is trying to coach does not mean that the player was not inujured. I would think that this would be a difficult position to defend. Since most of us are not trained in atheltic injuries to the level of knowing when someone is injured, I cannot think of a situation when I would make the judgement that it was faked. I can be a little slow about beckongin a coach n the floor by asking the player if they want their coach on. I can, as others have suggested, get the game going, remind the coach he has 30 seconds to replace the player, keep the players on the floor away from the coach, etc. But I am not going to take the liability to decide a player faked an injury.