The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Wink

I was watching the Kansas/Colorado Men's game last night and nearly fell out of my chair. Kansas up by 6 in the 2nd half. Colorado has the ball in their frontcourt. All the action at the 3 point line and as a shot goes up the whistle blows and the Lead Whistle calls a 3 second violation off ball as the shot is made. Is that the rarest call in the Mens game or was it a justified whistle. I have always held that whistle unless obvious advantage gained by camping in the paint. This call was off ball and play was uneffected. Any thoughts??
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the board.

Quote:
Originally posted by mwalker13004
I have always held that whistle unless obvious advantage gained by camping in the paint.
How do we know that isn't what happened?

If he's been in the lane for 5 or 6 seconds and has inside position when the shot goes up, he's gained an advantage.

Perhaps the L had been trying to talk him out of the paint nad had no recourse.

Difficult to know.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

I was at the Wyoming-Dayton game on Saturday, and saw 2 three second calls in that game. At the time I wasn't looking in the key, so I don't know if they were justified or not, most likely they were, however I don't know when the last time I saw a 3 second call made at that level and bam 2 in one game....Those calls stuck out like sore thumbs, right wrong or indifferent..
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
I'd ask this: Was that lead official watching the live play? Perhaps he'd not anticipated that a shot would go up, perhaps he didn't see it go up, or perhaps he didn't care it went up. He may have been shouting, "get out of the paint!" or "clear the paint, big guy!" and got no response. How many times do you warn before ya'll call it? I'll say this, I've called one (maybe two) 3-sec calls my varsity career. Hardly ever.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by zebracz
I'll say this, I've called one (maybe two) 3-sec calls my varsity career. Hardly ever.
I am not necessarily sure that is something to be that proud of. Many times a 3-second violation can clean up post action and open up the lanes for a better played game. Not every game needs the call, but I would not have that on the top of my resume, so to speak.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

I have been away awhile but now I'm back and this thread made me think.I had a j.v. boys game the other day and I had several warnings about camping in the key.On this time down I didn't say anything but realized i was at six on my count.I called three seconds and as I ran by the coach says you CAN'T call three seconds unless you warn them at the j.v. level.I was dumbfounded and speechless!
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

One of the most compelling reasons to call

3 seconds, apart from the fact that 'It's the rule', is when you can observe that a violation is going to put a defender in a particularly advantageous position if the shot misses. Obviously, you can't call 3 after the ball has been released . . .
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Re: One of the most compelling reasons to call

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffTheRef
3 seconds, apart from the fact that 'It's the rule', is when you can observe that a violation is going to put a defender in a particularly advantageous position if the shot misses. Obviously, you can't call 3 after the ball has been released . . .
Sure you can. If the violation occurs prior to the shot, it can certainly be called.

It just needs to be real quick.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Based on the responses I've read dealing with 3-sec lane violation, I wonder why it has lasted this long in the rule book. If its not going to be enforced, why have it? I hardly EVER see this call being made anymore. It was a common call years ago.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by red
Based on the responses I've read dealing with 3-sec lane violation, I wonder why it has lasted this long in the rule book. If its not going to be enforced, why have it? I hardly EVER see this call being made anymore. It was a common call years ago.
JMO, but I think one reason you rarely see it called is that it rarely happens at the varsity level and above. Players are coached more and more to flash and cut and not to stay stationary. Three seconds is a pretty good chunk of time. One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three. By the time you get to three, the player is almost always on his way out of the lane. It's just a function of the motion offenses that are being taught. Very few HS (and even college) teams have a HUGE guy who can dominate at the front of the rim. So they're not tempted to plop a guy in the middle of the lane and leave him there.

Another reason, of course, is that officials often look at 3-seconds as a "bush league" call, for whatever reason.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

... Three seconds is a pretty good chunk of time. One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three. By the time you get to three, the player is almost always on his way out of the lane.
FWIW I've never heard a coach count these, he usually starts at "FOUR....FIVE....SIX...."
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Re: One of the most compelling reasons to call

Quote:
Uh-oh!

You're calling 3-second violations on the defense? I sure hope your shirt is grey and your pants are navy . . . .
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

JMO, but I tend to think of 3 seconds as a tool that I can use when needed to clean up a situation. If somebody is camping, I'm calling it. If somebody is gaining an obvious (to me) advantage, I'm calling it. But I'm not about to go looking for opportunities to call it, it's too disruptive to the flow of the game.

BTW, I had a partner once call 10-12 of these in the first half. No flow; UGLY first half.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: One of the most compelling reasons to call

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Uh-oh!

You're calling 3-second violations on the defense? I sure hope your shirt is grey and your pants are navy . . . .
Nah, I meant a rebounder . . .
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: One of the most compelling reasons to call

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Uh-oh!

Nah, I meant a rebounder . . .
An offensive player . . . camped on the weak side . . . an OPCOTWS