Thread: 3 second call
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by red
Based on the responses I've read dealing with 3-sec lane violation, I wonder why it has lasted this long in the rule book. If its not going to be enforced, why have it? I hardly EVER see this call being made anymore. It was a common call years ago.
JMO, but I think one reason you rarely see it called is that it rarely happens at the varsity level and above. Players are coached more and more to flash and cut and not to stay stationary. Three seconds is a pretty good chunk of time. One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three. By the time you get to three, the player is almost always on his way out of the lane. It's just a function of the motion offenses that are being taught. Very few HS (and even college) teams have a HUGE guy who can dominate at the front of the rim. So they're not tempted to plop a guy in the middle of the lane and leave him there.

Another reason, of course, is that officials often look at 3-seconds as a "bush league" call, for whatever reason.