The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 29, 2000, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Angry That's the Last Straw...Here's another "T".

The season has just started and already, I feel like my tolerance level has peaked. The players in our league has good talent, but the respect for the officials is not there at all. Players are consistently questioning call, gesturing, doing the "I talking to you (ref), but I'm not talking at you act, with the unsatisfactory comments, and the list of obvious Unsportsmanlike Conduct goes on. Instead of organized, I really consider the league to be disorganized ball in the worst way. There are no fans to support your call and there are no coach so in essence, everyone wants to coach or ask you a question, give rule interpertation, rant 'n rave. Our organisation is adament about "sticking" them with T's. And have ejected a few already because they hound you and curse the official freely complaining about any and everything.

I found myself last nite's game being drawn into the trap of getting snippy with the players and ultimately getting confrontational. (Verbally...) I sometime feel that my game management/preventive ofc. is taking a dive because of games that have 7&8 Technicals.

Any advice (ie. pregame, captain's brief or otherwise) for the "Bad News Bunch" that just won't quit???
Old Wed Nov 29, 2000, 01:10pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb You don't need to take that.

Quote:
Originally posted by MREUROREF

I found myself last nite's game being drawn into the trap of getting snippy with the players and ultimately getting confrontational. (Verbally...) I sometime feel that my game management/preventive ofc. is taking a dive because of games that have 7&8 Technicals.

Any advice (ie. pregame, captain's brief or otherwise) for the "Bad News Bunch" that just won't quit???
Mr.E,
Keep "Banging" them, and encourage your colleagues to keep "Banging", until it goes away.
Smart players will adjust; others will be sitting and watching.
I have a friend that played in the University league (Cranbrook, maybe?) a couple years ago after playing here in Michigan for 8 years. He said that rudness is rampant on the floor, and the only hoops the players use as a guide is from information gleaned from the NBA, and that any floor decorum is no more than a wish.
The UK game will probably mature.

Be fair. Be consistent. Good luck.
mick
Old Wed Nov 29, 2000, 03:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Cool Look at it like this.......

it is your game. Everything that goes on in it, you are responsible for. If a kid gets hurt, they will blame you, if the fouls are called or not called, they will blame you. You need to take responsibility for what happens in that game. Now, having said that, if a kid questions your call or a coach questions your call, you have every right under the rules to address it. If a T needs to be called, then call it. If comments need to be made, make them. This is very important, "THEY CANNOT NOT HAVE A FAIR CONTEST WITHOUT OFFICIALS." Do not let anyone tell you differently. It puts the players and coaches at a disadvantage if you are not there. Believe me, I did two scrimmages by myself, and it did affect the games. You are in charge, and if people do not want to follow you get them out of there. The best way to get rid of a kid that is a problem, keep calling fouls on him/her. If they want to cherp, call anything that they do that is boarderline. They will not be there for long.