The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 12:00pm
Jerry Blum

Last night in the 1st qtr of the Varsity girls game we were having problems with the clock. A couple of times during the first 3 or 4 mins the clock would not stop when it should have. It wasn't working and the clock operator couldn't figure it out. We did finally get it working but I was wondering if anyone has had a problem where the clock didn't work and there was no backup? What did you do to handle this and how did it work?

Thanks.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Stop watch.

It works.

But it sucks.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Make sure you give the table a whistle so that you can hear them when time expires. Had this situation last week. Clock went out with 30 seconds to go. After a short attempt to get it working, we went with stopwatch. Gave them my spare whistle so they could signal us. Had a TO with 12 seconds left in the half. I was counting in my head and was well past the 12 seconds that was remaining, however, I didn't want to blow the play dead and have there be 1 or 2 seconds left. Sure enough, they made a basket and visiting coach goes balistic. Calmly went to the timer and asked if it was released before or after the shot. He said time expired before shot was released. Wiped the basket and when we came back after intermission, clock was working again.

Mregor