The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 06:47am
Official Forum Member

Last night I had to T up two Asst Coaches trying to be Bobby Knight. In both instances the coaches jumped off the bench and yelled at the top of their lungs at my partner.

Well, when I got home I was telling my 17 year old son (who plays HS B-Ball) what happened and he said "Dad I know they didn't yell at you". I replied no, but why do you say that and he asks "were they White Coaches", I said yes, "with White players" I say yes "and was your partner White" I say yes, my son ended, "they are not going to yell and scream at a Black Referee because they are afraid of how you might react". It made me think for a minute and you know, noone has yelled or screamed in my face, YET!

Since I'm new to officiating is this somewhat true?
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

I think....

the fact that you have't been screamed at yet by a coach is more the result of you're being a relatively new official, than it is the fact that you're black. Do this long enough; it will happen to you, too. UNLESS, you're a 6'-6" 280# black man. Then, you may never have a coach scream at you. And if that's the case, I'll take you as a partner anytime!!

Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 08:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Woodee
Last night I had to T up two Asst Coaches trying to be Bobby Knight. In both instances the coaches jumped off the bench and yelled at the top of their lungs at my partner.

Well, when I got home I was telling my 17 year old son (who plays HS B-Ball) what happened and he said "Dad I know they didn't yell at you". I replied no, but why do you say that and he asks "were they White Coaches", I said yes, "with White players" I say yes "and was your partner White" I say yes, my son ended, "they are not going to yell and scream at a Black Referee because they are afraid of how you might react". It made me think for a minute and you know, noone has yelled or screamed in my face, YET!

"Familiarity breeds contempt." - Publius Syrus. (42 B.C.)

Woodee,
Dunno, ignorant people do strange things.

Like your son implied, wait 'til they get to know you better, ... or maybe you are simply just that good!

I always thought *white hair* had some advantages.

mick
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Could be lots of things

Could be a bias, could be rookie syndrome, could be they thought the other ref was more "workable." You can never know.
I have seen rookies handled in two ways. One is to ride only the rookie hoping he'll crack and give you some calls. The other is to ride his partner hoping he'll take pity on you for the "mistakes" his inexperienced partner is making and give you some calls. I am not sure that these techniques actually work, but coaches are coaches.

That said, I see bias all the time and it is naive not to suggest that it exists. I work with a man who won't sit down at lunch with our coworkers when it is just the females, will readily sit down if another male is already present. I have worked with another man who would direct questions of a technical nature only to males, never to the females, even when the females were the technical experts in the area that he need info (and the women knew it!). I have seen similar dynamics between blacks and whites, and both directions. The bias may be a conscious prejudice or an unconscious bias that the person is not even aware exists. But if biases are evident in the workplace, they exist everywhere and will be there on the court.

I also see plenty of people who demonstrate no bias in this regard. I would like to include myself in this category, but I am not naive enough to think I am qualified to judge myself. We all have preconceptions we carry around with us and they come into play in the most subtle ways at times.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Woodee

Had sort of the reverse in a game on Tuesday. 3-person crew -- white male (me), white female, black male (the R). Coach was black and was all over the black official (20+ year veteran and good official) and would basically only talk to the female. Don't think he ever spoke to me. The R finally gave him the "stop sign". I thought he should have T'd him earlier. This coach has a reputation of "working black officals", for whatever reason. Have seen him do this on more than one occassions and he does it to some of the most laid-back black officials you could ever work with. Coach has a definite problem, but I can't imagine why he does this.

Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 11:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

One of my high school partners (white) told me this story:

He was working rec ball and showed up for a game with one team consisting solely of black players. After he called a foul on one of the players, the player turned and called him a "cracker."

My partner ejected the player and the player got a very short suspension (1-2 games). My partner feels that had the races been reversed and a slur used the penalty would've been more sever. I'm not sure about that.

Truth is, the only colors I see when I'm working are the colors of the uniforms. I'm not smart enough to favor one team over another for any reason.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Woodee,

There are several counties in my state that have zero black population. It is not rare for everyone in the gym to be white but an official. These people are redneck as steretyped on TV but they are polite to a black official. There will be a collective groan when a call goes against their team but you don't see the personal insults like they aim at me. Go figure.

Mulk
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

RE:

I'm a Black Official and in my 3rd season. I have never had a coach scream at me but I had a few who were upset at some of my calls. When that happens and they go overboard T them up
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Hawks Coach,

Excellent synopsis. One of the best, most concise ones I have read or heard. I appreciate your well thought and expressed observations.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 01:24pm
Huck Finn

I read this and said no way at first. Then I thought about my experiences with coaches over the years. It does have some merit. I also think over time your personality will be the deciding factor with your treatment. Most coaches want to know what they are getting in an official. If you are black and you are fair then they will eventually accpept what you are doing. Now, they will not like it all of the time but they will accept it for the most part. There are coaches that will never learn how to conduct themselves on the sideline but they want consistent calls. So, sure they might have treated you that way because you are black or it could be that you're a rookie. Stay at it and it will all even out.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 02:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Not much has changed.

Woodee,

I think you have to understand that coaches bring their biases on the court. No matter what color they are. So if you are dealing with white coaches that have very little interaction with officials like us, then that can be problematic if that coach has feelings about authoritiy figures that are African-American. It is the nature of the beast. And in my circles often talked about. I happen to have started my career in mostly rurual communities, where in many cases I was the only African-American in the gym. So I had to deal with some things that not many had to. I even had an incident where a Principal was trying to get me off a game because he did not like the game I called a week before. And he only signaled me out, and left my white partner out of it. Considering the community he came from and the school involved, that was not a shock what the motivation was. But having said all that, just because we have come are separated from Jim Crow laws or the 60s, does not mean all is well in this country when it comes to race. The only thing has chanced is that it is not PC to openly express certain points of view, but the way people are treated are not that different. And yes it affects Black officials when we try to officiate games with coaches that are not of color. At least it does with the guys I officiate with.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Not much has changed.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I even had an incident where a Principal was trying to get me off a game because he did not like the game I called a week before. And he only signaled me out, and left my white partner out of it. Considering the community he came from and the school involved, that was not a shock what the motivation was.
How do you KNOW what his motiviation was?

I ask because I have a similiar situation.

Two years ago, a AD who is black and works at a pre-dominantly black school, marked me off. He did not mark off either of my two partners. Should I suspect that the markoff is racially motivated? More importantly, how can I KNOW that's why he marked me off?
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 03:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb You KNOW better than I would.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

How do you KNOW what his motiviation was?
Just like when I get stopped by the Police in a high priced car and I am not ticketed, but asked more about the car and what I do for a living, you tend to cross off possible reasoning. It does not help that the community this principal came from has had race problems in the past. It was and is a very recognized place for African-Americans in all walks of life to not be caught in that community. Because as an official of my racial makeup, if I want to work games (at that time) I have to work in many communities like this. As a matter of fact, I had no choices to work in communities where the entire school was all-Black. I would also like to say, that the individuals that were around and were all not people of color, thought the very same thing. The assignor, the official I worked with that night, a few mentors of mine, all thought the same thing. Maybe it was not, but he did all the things that pointed in that direction.

Quote:

I ask because I have a similiar situation.

Two years ago, a AD who is black and works at a pre-dominantly black school, marked me off. He did not mark off either of my two partners. Should I suspect that the markoff is racially motivated? More importantly, how can I KNOW that's why he marked me off?
I will bet that even if he marked you off, if you wanted to, your probably would never have to go back to the predominantly African-American school again and function. So if you want to think it was racially motivated, that is up to you. You know the history of the school and the circumstances of that school and other white officials in that area. You were there, it is up to you to come to the conclusion as to why you were marked off. Do not try to act like what people do in our daily lives, we cannot be precepetive enough to "see the writing on the wall." Many African-Americans are very aware when they are being treated differently and can see that without anyone saying anything to confirm it. Give us some credit.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Re: You KNOW better than I would.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I will bet that even if he marked you off, if you wanted to, your probably would never have to go back to the predominantly African-American school again and function. So if you want to think it was racially motivated, that is up to you. You know the history of the school and the circumstances of that school and other white officials in that area. You were there, it is up to you to come to the conclusion as to why you were marked off. Do not try to act like what people do in our daily lives, we cannot be precepetive enough to "see the writing on the wall." Many African-Americans are very aware when they are being treated differently and can see that without anyone saying anything to confirm it. Give us some credit.
And I don't doubt that's true. I've never been in a black man's shoes but I have been treated unfairly because I was white.

I've also seen situations where people attempted to play the race card when it wasn't happening. And you've seen it, too. We've all seen it. And that hurts those who really are being discriminated against. It can be like the boy who cried wolf.

In the end, whether it's you or me, unless a man tells us that he didn't want us there because we're black or white, it's simply speculation and perception as to why we're not wanted back. Unless we're told, I have no way of KNOWING and you have no way of KNOWING.

Just wanted to make that point. I'm done.

Incidentally, I still work football games at that same school.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 05:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: You KNOW better than I would.

Quote:

And I don't doubt that's true. I've never been in a black man's shoes but I have been treated unfairly because I was white.
Well at least you are surrounded by folks that make decisions that look like you. If you have been treated differently, instead of having to constantly overcome sterotypes and wrong preceptions and those are by the folks that have decision making power.

Quote:

I've also seen situations where people attempted to play the race card when it wasn't happening. And you've seen it, too. We've all seen it. And that hurts those who really are being discriminated against. It can be like the boy who cried wolf.
I am so sick and tired of people trying saying, "playing the race card." I really am. Because no one plays any card. Discrimination is not a card. Discrimination is a real and living thing. Most African-Americans that I know do not have a distrust for the systems they are under because there is a card, they feel that way based on very specific situations they have experienced. From an officiating standpoint, there are Black officials that have achieved everything or on the same plane as their non-Black counterparts, and they are on the outside looking in. I know more white officials that extensively in the Chicago Public League (which in many situations is all-Black players and coaches) compared to the mostly white suburban areas and the number of non-white officials ever have gotten in those circles. I work in some conferences were all I see are the "mostly-Black" teams. You tell me that there are 12 or more teams in this conference and I see 1 school every year not matter what? Why are we working only one team in a conference with 12 or more teams, every year? Now that can be a card to you, but to many there is a solid reason for that fact. It is not because they love me so much at those particular schools.

Quote:

In the end, whether it's you or me, unless a man tells us that he didn't want us there because we're black or white, it's simply speculation and perception as to why we're not wanted back. Unless we're told, I have no way of KNOWING and you have no way of KNOWING.
Well that sounds wonderful. But if you need to be told everything than I really do not see how anyone would function. We talk all the time about things that are "unsaid" but expected. And when folks change what they have done in the past, they move on or up. Ask Rick Berry and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar about why they cannot get a NBA job? They have not been told anything, but they are still trying to fight preconceived notions about their personalities.

Quote:

Incidentally, I still work football games at that same school.
Maybe they do not care as much about football?

Peace
Closed Thread