The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 08:55am
If you need me, text me!

Did I blow this one?

Tuesday night Boys Varsity (NFHS rules).

As A1 released a try for goal A3 fouled B2 on the opposite side of the lane while crashing the boards for the rebound. I had the whistle, ball then went in. I cancelled the score and then we shot the bonus on the other end.

In looking things up this morning I can only find reference that you count the goal if the opponent of the shooter commits a foul during the act of shooting. I can't find my situation.

Thanks for your help.

OCReferee
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 09:23am
Jerry Blum

I don't have my rule books but I am pretty sure that if the try is in flight when the foul occurs you should count the basket if it goes.

This situation is why some people on the site believe you should hold this call until it is determined whether the shot is good or not. I believe this was discussed last year sometime but I believe the majority felt that this could be let go unless the shot is missed.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Count the points

The points are counted if the ball has been released and there is a foul by either team.

If A1 is in the motion and B2 fouls A2, count the points.
If A1 is in the motion and A2 fouls B2, negate the points.

The key is the ball is in the air and is live until the try is over.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

The only foul that cancels a score when the ball is in flight is a PC foul.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

ruling

If the ball is NOT in flight, and the foul is committed by the offense, the ball is dead and no goal is scored. (Page 49 case book..6.7.C) The ball is live if the foul is committed by the defense.

If the ball is in flight, and the foul is on one of the other offensive players, score the field goal. (Page 54 case book...7.5.7 E).

It looks like in your example, that the ball WAS in flight, in this case SCORE THE GOAL.

Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 10:44am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by mthomas
If the ball is NOT in flight, and the foul is committed by the offense, the ball is dead and no goal is scored. (Page 49 case book..6.7.C) The ball is live if the foul is committed by the defense.

If the ball is in flight, and the foul is on one of the other offensive players, score the field goal. (Page 54 case book...7.5.7 E).

It looks like in your example, that the ball WAS in flight, in this case SCORE THE GOAL.

Actually, the original poster needs to clarify this -- I can't really tell if the ball was in flight based solely on the original post.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 10:53am
If you need me, text me!

Quote:
Actually, the original poster needs to clarify this -- I can't really tell if the ball was in flight based solely on the original post.
Rereading what I typed this morning I see the confusion. A1 had NOT released the ball when the foul was called.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 11:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by ocreferee
Quote:
Rereading what I typed this morning I see the confusion. A1 had NOT released the ball when the foul was called.
Good call, then.