The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 28, 2000, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Question

A1 gets called for an illegal screen, tableside in backcourt near Team A's bench. Bonus situation for Team B. Coach of Team A gets unsportsmanlike technical foul for showing displeasure for illegal screen call. One and one bonus shot for B1, then any one of Team B's players to shoot the technical foul. Where is the ball given to Team B after technical foul shots: tableside near Team A's bench, or opposite table at the half court division line?
Old Tue Nov 28, 2000, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Spot of throw in

I could not find anything in the rule book except "two free throws plus ball for division line throw-in." Every official I have worked with takes the ball opposite table, but I find no rule that says to do that. It is one of those things that "it has always been done that way". I guess there is no rule that makes you go opposite table. I think we do it to get away from the benches. Makes sense.
Jerry
Old Tue Nov 28, 2000, 04:23pm
Esteemed Participant

If we are talking Fed. rules here, I believe the ball may be brought in on either side (don't have my rulebook in front of me for quote) but is usually taken to opposite side just to stay away from T'ed coach...if we are talking NCAA, then you would shoot the T shots first, then shoot the bonus for the illegal screen with players on the line and the game would continue from there as after any free throws...
Old Tue Nov 28, 2000, 04:57pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I, too, think the inbounding of the ball at the point opposite the table is just good sense, not necessarily a rule.

While we're on the subject, did you know it's also just a tradition to have the players stand at or behind the division line during a technical (or intentional)free throw? (NF rules)

The only rule governing this is that players may not be on the lane and that players not on the lane must be behind the three point line and the free throw line extended, just like anyone not on the lane during a normal free throw. Yet you always see everyone get the players back to the division line. In fact, I bet the players think that's the rule.
Old Tue Nov 28, 2000, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Related Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I, too, think the inbounding of the ball at the point opposite the table is just good sense, not necessarily a rule.

While we're on the subject, did you know it's also just a tradition to have the players stand at or behind the division line during a technical (or intentional)free throw? (NF rules)

The only rule governing this is that players may not be on the lane and that players not on the lane must be behind the three point line and the free throw line extended, just like anyone not on the lane during a normal free throw. Yet you always see everyone get the players back to the division line. In fact, I bet the players think that's the rule.

Your comments bring a question to mind. During the shooting of a technical or intentional personal foul, may either coach call his players over, near the coaching box for a quick talk provided the coach remains off the court and his players on the court?
Old Tue Nov 28, 2000, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett

Fed rule 7-5-8 seems pretty specific to me -- the throw-in must be at the division line opposite the table. (And, please, no one raise the question about what happens when it's a freshman B game in the second back gym where the table is on the end-line and the players sit on opposite sides of the court.)

NCAA rule 7-5-9 is equally specific -- but in the opposite direction. The throw-in can be from either side.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2000, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Bob is correct. The fouls are penalized in the order in which they occurred. Since the T was the last foul called, the ball is inbounded at the division line, opposite the table, just like any other techncal foul. The fact that it was part of a false double foul has no bearing on the throw-in spot, only on the 1 & 1 FTs.

PS to Mark - We required all players, except the shooter, to stand behind the 3 pt. arc and the FT line extended.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2000, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Re: Related Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Sven
During the shooting of a technical or intentional personal foul, may either coach call his players over, near the coaching box for a quick talk provided the coach remains off the court and his players on the court?
Why not? Coach can choose to do this at any point in time, even with ball in play (not a normal tactic!!!). As long as players are on court, nothing in the rules says they cannot be in the vicinity of the bench or that the coach cannot converse with them while they happen to be there. Would not hold inbounds for them if they linger after completion of T shots. Its not a TO.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2000, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Related Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Sven
Your comments bring a question to mind. During the shooting of a technical or intentional personal foul, may either coach call his players over, near the coaching box for a quick talk provided the coach remains off the court and his players on the court?
As long as the players stay above the free-throw line extended, it would seem to be legal.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2000, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Fellas, I apologize for not asking about the NCAA rule interpretation. The officials of this particular game, NAIA Div. II, put the ball back in play tableside, near Team A's bench, to Team B after the bonus shots. Was this the correct administration?
Old Wed Nov 29, 2000, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kspann
Fellas, I apologize for not asking about the NCAA rule interpretation. The officials of this particular game, NAIA Div. II, put the ball back in play tableside, near Team A's bench, to Team B after the bonus shots. Was this the correct administration?
IF the NAIA plays by NCAA rules (and I say IF because they use different rules in baseball; I couldn't find anything on the NAIA web site), then the officials were likely wrong.

Unless this was a flagrant T (doubtful), then B should shoot the technical free throws first, then have everyone line up for a 1-and-1, just as if there had been no T.

Given that they had a throw-in, then they were correct to have it on the table side (either side is appropriate under NCAA rules -- it will usually be opposite unless the team prefers the nearer side).
Old Wed Nov 29, 2000, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thinking about why the NCAA changed the rule, and what they are trying to accomplish, I agree with you Bob. The intent of the rule says that it is enough punishment to give 2 free throws for unsportsmanlike conduct, but not the possession of ball. So in this situation, shoot the T, then the bonus, even though the personal foul was called first, then the technical foul. Anybody else have any thoughts about the NCAA interpretation?
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Didn't say if it was 2 or 3 person crew.
NHFS rule book states throw-in after T is at division line. Refer to Officials Manual. Page 42 item 248 for 2 officials. "Trail official will go to division line on the side of court opposite table".
Page 84 item 358-b for 3 officails. "Center (calling official) will administer throw-in at division line opposite table and become the new Trail."