The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

I had a varsity vs Exes boys game the other day. Big annual "fun?" holiday rivalry. For the first time ever in an annual decades old rivalry, the exes had the better team. With 2 seconds on the board, the varsity team was down by 3 and caught a free throw rebound in their backcourt and called a time out. I had a young official working with me and I knew she would be on the other end and have to officiate the last shot etc and I was talking to her during the TO about making sure she gets the foul if any etc because they would surely be trying to shoot a quick 3. I also told her that I would have last shot. With all these things in mind, after the TO, I went to the baseline in backcourt to administer the throw in. As I p handed the ball to the player, he asked me if he could run the baseline and I said sure. OUCH. He ran 3 steps, passed the ball downcourt and the 3 pointer was in to tie the game just ahead of the buzzer. The exes coach runs out amid the screaming and cheering and reminds me that the throw in should be a spot and that the player was "travelling." I admitted I had made a mistake. He said it was correctable which I told him it was not. I'm 6'5" but felt about 4'6". He argued awhile and then we went into OT and he won anyway so it worked out okay. I guess the moral of the story is to keep the concentration level up at all times.
Ralph
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 06:16pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Stubenthal
I guess the moral of the story is to keep the concentration level up at all times.
Ralph
Good thought, Ralph!

During a last minute(s) time-out, I try to mention focus when we get together, no matter how redundant it seems.
mick

Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Good job getting together w/ partner during T.O. One of the things to always go over during that conversation is who is bringing the ball in, where the ball is coming in and if it's a spot throw-in or a "run the baseline" throw-in. When you make a mistake and the right team ends up winning, count your blessings. That's a lot easier than screwing it up and the wrong team wins.

Z