The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Hello all. Over the break my team participated in a x-mas tourney. At a stoppage in play I asked one of the officials if he would keep his eye out for carrying the ball, specifically our opponent's PG. He responded that he had noticed it as well but would refrain from making a carrying call until she used it to gain an advantage. I realize if the officials called every rule violation they seen, the games would quickly turn in a 3 hour tour and I appriciate when they do turn a blind eye to some stuff. However, I'd never heard an official respond in that fashion. Is this common?

Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by coachgrd
Hello all. Over the break my team participated in a x-mas tourney. At a stoppage in play I asked one of the officials if he would keep his eye out for carrying the ball, specifically our opponent's PG. He responded that he had noticed it as well but would refrain from making a carrying call until she used it to gain an advantage. I realize if the officials called every rule violation they seen, the games would quickly turn in a 3 hour tour and I appriciate when they do turn a blind eye to some stuff. However, I'd never heard an official respond in that fashion. Is this common?

Is it common to call it this way? Yes. Is it common to say this to a coach? Well....

"If I see it I'll call it coach."
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

What you say

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Is it common to call it this way? Yes. Is it common to say this to a coach? Well....

"If I see it I'll call it coach."
When you do call it, they stop doing it. In most cases, it is just a bad habit. In the worst case scenario, the coach will take them out because of the turnovers. As an official, it is not bad PM to mention it to their coach before you address it directly.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

I first question is, did the ball come to rest in her hand? Was the palm face up?
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
I first question is, did the ball come to rest in her hand? Was the palm face up?
the palm doesn't have to be face up, you can cup the ball on a crossover and accomplish the same thing, it is the coming to rest in control that gains an advantage...

I have heard an official tell a coach "they aren't gaining an advantage, I will call it when they do" I have mixed emotions. I think you need to address it quietly with the offending team when you see it (assuming there is no advantage)..if that doesn't work call it once and see if that works. I guess if that is the reason you aren't calling it, it probably doesn't do any harm telling the coach this, but if they make a move and do it and gain an advantage you better be right on top of it...
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 11:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

That's not how I call it. I call it when I see it, and I can usually tell within a minute or two if I'm going to have to call it. Players that carry usually habitually dribble that way and come close a lot. If I call it early and he's wide open, it's gonna be blatant. I've called a few this year, and without fail the kid complained to his coach only to get, "He's right, it was a carry," from his coach.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
I've called a few this year, and without fail the kid complained to his coach only to get, "He's right, it was a carry," from his coach.
nothing better than hearing that from the bench, whether it be about a carry, a foul, or anything in general....
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Don't take stock in the coach agreeing. The last time i made this call was two yrs ago when the kid did the AI move.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Don't take stock in the coach agreeing.
Great point. IMO the best thing to hear from the bench is nothing, either way.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 11:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Don't take stock in the coach agreeing. The last time i made this call was two yrs ago when the kid did the AI move.
I don't need the coach's agreement to validate my calls. I just think it's funny when the kids complain to the coach about calls only to get rebuffed. It was funny from a spectator's perspective. At the JV level around here, there are a few point guards who watch too much of the Sixers on TV. Worse yet, they watch that street ball on ESPN and see the players do worse stuff than the AI move and get away with it.

Adam
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[i] I guess if that is the reason you aren't calling it, it probably doesn't do any harm telling the coach this, but if they make a move and do it and gain an advantage you better be right on top of it... [/B]
I would recommend never tell a coach or player how, why, or when you will make a call. A couple yrs. ago, the R at one of my HS games told the coach he was going to call something a certain way. Sure enough, the coach ended up getting a T for getting excited about something that wasn't called.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 09:25pm
Administrator

Quote:

I really do not want to get into the discussion about palming. But one of my long time partners has a great solution when a player or coach asks him to watch another player: He politely tells them he isn't interested in being told about the other team's players, but rather he wants to know which one of their players do things that are illegal.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm sure that comment goes over great with a coach.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 11:18pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

My partner is a minister and is a women's observer in the MAC, is just knows how to handle a coach.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 06, 2004, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

My partner is a minister and is a women's observer in the MAC, is just knows how to handle a coach.
It doesn't matter if his name is Moses, it's a stupid thing to say.