The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 02:53am
We don't rent pigs

The other night at an 8th grade girls game the dribbler went right into the half court trap and picked up her dribble, just like the defense planned. Two defenders trapped and had her right where they wanted her. The only problem is one defender leaned on the offensive player until she literally knocked her on her butt, not a vicious foul, but one that had to be called. A lady in the stands close by yelled,"Boy, they're cheating!" Uh huh, thanks lady, your objection is duly noted. A couple of rows in front of this lady were two small boys, probably 5 or 6 years old. One turned to the other and said matter of factly, "These are some cheatin' refs." I think: well, this is where they learn it, he's just repeating what he heard, probably not even watching and knowing what's going on. But about the time I finished this thought, he completed his observation, "She fell on her own."

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 07:09am
Huck Finn

Just another ref, this is
Just another dumb fan that didn't recognize
Just another foul. This is
Just another Monday and I'm obviously having
Just another silly moment.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

100% correct

I need a bigger house with the recent birth of my third child and I've ruled out communities that I won't live in because of the way the parents/fans act. To me it is a reflection on the community. I've also got a short list of where I want to live for the same reason.

Mregor
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

What you say

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
I need a bigger house with the recent birth of my third child and I've ruled out communities that I won't live in because of the way the parents/fans act. To me it is a reflection on the community. I've also got a short list of where I want to live for the same reason.

Mregor
The secretary of the association (and a top official) I belong to turned back his game schedule a couple of years ago because he wanted to watch his daughters game. As such, he attended all her games and sat in the stands with the fans. He could not
believe what he was hearing in the stands (things he never heard on the floor when he was officiating). The remarks were extremely bitter and caustic in nature. He was taken aback by what he heard and saw. Remember, according to one publication,
every day in this great country of ours, three sports officials are assaulted.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Re: 100% correct

Quote:
... I've ruled out communities that I won't live in because of the way the parents/fans act. To me it is a reflection on the community. I've also got a short list of where I want to live for the same reason.
Have you considered "Pleasantville"? Good luck.
Congrats on the new baby.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Re: 100% correct

Quote:
You'll soon be out of possible locations.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: 100% correct

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
Have you considered "Pleasantville"? Good luck.
Congrats on the new baby.
The "black and white" version, or the "color" version?
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,

I just occured to me that you new sig. line might be mis-interpreted by some, esp. newbies, as referring to other comments above yours as referring only to men's NCAA and not just your immediate post.
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Yeah, good catch, David. This any better?
Old Mon Jan 05, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

I'll accept that one Chuck!
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

I had this in reverse a few months back. I was working an intramural college (i.e., players are 18-25) flag football game.

The game was forfeited because one of the teams has a few ejections too many. We went over to the sidelines, and a 40 or 50 year old woman starts berating me. In my 3 years of reffing, it's still the oddest thing I've seen.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2004, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
, and a 40 or 50 year old woman starts berating me. In my 3 years of reffing, it's still the oddest thing I've seen.
The woman of the berating?
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
, and a 40 or 50 year old woman starts berating me. In my 3 years of reffing, it's still the oddest thing I've seen.
The woman of the berating?

The age!
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 01:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: 100% correct

Quote:

Mregor
Ooh, ooh, we need to compare notes on this