The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Folks,
One of my games yesterday in 4 game set included one ladies game where one player had braids and beads in her long hair. Game management had issue with the beads where worried that could hit somebody. My partner (experienced and wise lady that she is), told coach to simply wrap beads w/trainers tape and let's play on. Good call by her-no issues during the game, but now I'm wondering-is there another way to handle this on the court? Don't have rulebook handy-sorry. Gave to my son, who is starting to call this year. He left at school over the holidays.

Reason so curious? Besides reffing, got a call 3 days ago from rec dept. to ask me to coach 14-15 gents team as well as call ball. This will be a group of 10 young men who haven't played together, we get 1 practice a week and 2 games on weekends. First game today (whuf!) And yes, one of my players has long braids with beads at bottom, and yes my son is playing on team as well (son will probably fire me before season is out . Will have athletic tape for young man with braids to prevent any similar issue.

PA Coach and Hawks Coach-get ready for a separate post from me on what I can do with these guys who get so little time together for rec league. Some offensive set for zone and one for M2M. Ah well, keeps me young (I guess), out of trouble (?), and chance to keep with son reffing (and now) coaching.
Thanks all,
Chris
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Last season in Omaha there were 2 players that blew their knees out because they stepped on loose beads that were on the court. You never know when they may come loose. If they want to play.... They must take them out.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Check out this site.

Quote:
Originally posted by Triangle NC ref
Folks,
One of my games yesterday in 4 game set included one ladies game where one player had braids and beads in her long hair. Game management had issue with the beads where worried that could hit somebody. My partner (experienced and wise lady that she is), told coach to simply wrap beads w/trainers tape and let's play on. Good call by her-no issues during the game, but now I'm wondering-is there another way to handle this on the court? Don't have rulebook handy-sorry. Gave to my son, who is starting to call this year. He left at school over the holidays.

Reason so curious? Besides reffing, got a call 3 days ago from rec dept. to ask me to coach 14-15 gents team as well as call ball. This will be a group of 10 young men who haven't played together, we get 1 practice a week and 2 games on weekends. First game today (whuf!) And yes, one of my players has long braids with beads at bottom, and yes my son is playing on team as well (son will probably fire me before season is out . Will have athletic tape for young man with braids to prevent any similar issue.

PA Coach and Hawks Coach-get ready for a separate post from me on what I can do with these guys who get so little time together for rec league. Some offensive set for zone and one for M2M. Ah well, keeps me young (I guess), out of trouble (?), and chance to keep with son reffing (and now) coaching.
Thanks all,
Chris
Regarding the coaching sitch, check out this site: coachesclipboard.net.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Folks,
Chris, it wasn't "a good call by her." Under no circumstances do you allow the player to play with the beads. It's against the rules and it places you at great liablilty to allow the player to play with them.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Jan 4th, 2004 at 12:14 PM]
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rpirtle Send a message via Yahoo to rpirtle
I agree with previous posts...the beads come out...no ifs, ands, or buts...
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

ditto, no beads, easy solution. And when they say the others games I could play, your response is "its against the rules".
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 06:17pm
Administrator

Quote:
Folks,

Thanks all,
Chris

Your partner maybe experienced but not wise. The beads come out because of NFHS R3-S5-A2, and the accompanying Casebook plays. I cannot quote the Casebook plays because I only have my Rules book in front of me and not my Casebook. Not only can beads come out and cause another player to get hurt, if the player wearing the beads falls and hits her head those beads can injure her also.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

If there is a rule that is safety related you need to enforce it 100%. As a referee you would be held to a higher standard. We have had this discussion in the past, but you do not want to face the liability if someone was injured.
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 08:02pm
In Memoriam

Zero tolerance :
  • Easy to understand.
  • Easy to enforce.
    mick
    Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 09:31pm
    Official Forum Member

Well, I learned something tonight. Beads gotta go. No ifs ands or....
    Thanks all for the wisdom and the references.

Tony-you coming up our way soon? Roy may need some help.

Chris

Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 09:34pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Tony-you coming up our way soon? Roy may need some help.

Chris
    LOL! It depends on what the local employment market holds.
    Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 09:55pm
    Official Forum Member

Wink

Woodee, thanx for the website. Will use before next practice.

BTW-after hearing all about sportsmanship, had my players at end of game shake hands with other team THEN to thank the officials for their work. Team looked at me kinda funny at first but during postgame understood why when talked about 3 teams working to do their best.

Wouldn't do this except in rec league, I call with these folks, and want to focus on the sportsmanship aspect with 14-15 yrs olds who can tend to focus more on gasoline and girls than selflessness.

Off my soapbox (oh yeah, won in OT-must have been superior athletic ability-certainly wasn't the coaching!
    Chris
    Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 10:17pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
    Quote:
    ...14-15 yrs olds who can tend to focus more on gasoline and girls than selflessness...
    ...or gasoline and boys...