The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 29, 2000, 02:02pm
Esteemed Participant

Small college game last night (NAIA but uses NCAA 3-person mechanics)...one partner consistently messed up the rotations...we had no idea when he would come across as lead or why...a case in point: at least 4 times in the first half he came across to C's side while the ball was in T's corner of sideline and half-court and no offensive players were on my side of the key. At about the 11 min. mark of the first half I went to him during a time-out and talked with him about it. His response was "That's the way I like to do it, so just adjust"...coverages and rotations WERE discusses in the pre-game and this never came up...luckily my other partner and I were experienced enough to adjust, but my question is this: What could I have done if our third was not experienced enough to handle the adjustment? Is there anything (short of tackling the guy) that can be done during the game to handle this kind of problem? I've worked with lots of people, but NEVER seen anyone do this many weird things in one game...
Old Wed Nov 29, 2000, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Tough situation to deal with. I'd probably do what you did initially (talking to him during a break in the game), then address it at half-time if it continued to be a problem. I'd put it indirectly on myself so as to try to avoid defensiveness on his part. Example: "I noticed a lot of rotations to the weak side, and was kind of confused and caught off-guard by that. Can you help me understand what was happening so I can anticipate it a little better?" If his answer still defies logic, maybe ask further something like, "OK, but when you do that, how can we (as a crew) make sure that we're covering the strong side action effectively?" My goal in approaching things this way is to gradually lead him to doing things the right (i.e., prescribed) way, without alienating him completely. Ultimately, though, you and your partner may have to simply state that you are going to maintain your proper positions, and if he is out of position he will have to be prepared to take the heat for missed calls in his primary. Of course, if he still is in his "I'm-gonna-do-it-MY-way-so-just-adjust" attitude....then tackle him.