The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 01:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I wondered what happened.

Okay, here's the critical question that relates back to a freshman boys game I did a few weeks ago. A is down by 1 with less than 10 seconds left. A1 is driving the court, while A coach requests a timeout. Partner (trail) looks at coach to verify as A1 shoots and misses, B1 grabs rebound as partner's whistle sounds for TO for A. Is the TO correct? Coach called for TO while A1 was driving. Partner verified as A1 was shooting.

Adam
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I know that there are H.S. officials who do not like having head coaches request team timeouts, but a good pre-game and proper mechanics can reduce the problem that happened in the posted play.
In this case my partner and I did not have any pregame as he did not show up until minutes before tipoff. Unfortunately this seems to be the way things happen in many of these tournaments.

Quote:
From the description of the play I am going to make an educated assumption that the officiating crew was a two-man crew and that the Trail official was Table-side. In situations like the posted play, the official who is Opposite-the-Table needs to be aware of possible timeout situations and should be the official who grants the head coach's request for a team timeout. This eliminates the need for the Trail official in this play from having to look away from the ball to verify who is requesting the team timeout.
Mark is correct in assuming this was how the play transpired. I was indeed table-side as the trail official. This required me to actually turn my head to verify the request for the TO. When I turned my head player A1 had not been trapped yet, but upon locating the coach and verifying the request the player was trapped, stripped of the ball, and B1 was in the process of scoring the basket. I do agree that the player had possession when the coach requested the TO, but I can see merits to handling it both ways as it also true that a TO is not a TO until the official grants it. This isn't to say that we should be tardy in granting them though. I guess the saving grace of it all was that the coach of Team A never complained about the way the play transpired.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

This situation could not happen under FIBA rules since time out is allowed when the ball is dead or when a team has been scored on.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 08:31pm
Administrator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MN BB Ref
Quote:
I do agree that the player had possession when the coach requested the TO, but I can see merits to handling it both ways as it also true that a TO is not a TO until the official grants it. This isn't to say that we should be tardy in granting them though. I guess the saving grace of it all was that the coach of Team A never complained about the way the play transpired.

I really do not see any merits for handling both ways. Team A's Head Coach requested a team timeout while A1 had player control of the ball. The request has to be granted. It is not a matter of being tardy in granting the timeout request. An official always sounds his/her whistle in reaction to something that happened on the court. It is better too be late with the whistle and get the play correct instead of being early with the whistle and getting the play wrong.

Keeping these principals in mind, you and your partner were incorrect in allowing B2's layup to count. Once you were sure that Head Coach "A" was making the request, stop play and grant the request.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bart and BktBallRef are correct. If there is player control when the request for a team timeout is made, then the timeout request must be I am not sure how long Bart has been officiating women's college, but the head coach has been allowed to request a granted.

team timeout in women's college for over 30's years.
Well Mark, then you should also know the Women's side just switched back to NOT allow the Asst. Coach to call the TO. I'm not sure the number of years, but I will guess its about 3 or 4 yrs ago they allowed the asst. coach to call the TO. I'm not sure what all this has to do with how many years I have been doing Women's, but maybe you can explain it to me.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 08:53pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
Bart and BktBallRef are correct. If there is player control when the request for a team timeout is made, then the timeout request must be I am not sure how long Bart has been officiating women's college, but the head coach has been allowed to request a granted.

team timeout in women's college for over 30's years.
Well Mark, then you should also know the Women's side just switched back to NOT allow the Asst. Coach to call the TO. I'm not sure the number of years, but I will guess its about 3 or 4 yrs ago they allowed the asst. coach to call the TO. I'm not sure what all this has to do with how many years I have been doing Women's, but maybe you can explain it to me.
Bart:

When I started officiating women's college the officials wore blue and white stripped shirts, white shoes (with white socks), and had the choice of wearing blue shorts, culottes, or slacks (and if a belt was worn it had to be blue; try finding a blue belt with a silver belt buckle now less). And one of the wonderfull rules I loved was if A1 throw the ball agains B1 leg and the ball went directly out-of-bounds, Team B received the ball for a throw-in because A1 caused the ball to go out-of-bounds. Have a good season.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[i]
Bart:

When I started officiating women's college the officials wore blue and white stripped shirts, white shoes (with white socks), and had the choice of wearing blue shorts, culottes, or slacks (and if a belt was worn it had to be blue; try finding a blue belt with a silver belt buckle now less). And one of the wonderfull rules I loved was if A1 throw the ball agains B1 leg and the ball went directly out-of-bounds, Team B received the ball for a throw-in because A1 caused the ball to go out-of-bounds. Have a good season.

MTD, Sr. [/B]
Mark, you have me beat by a long shot. Thats funny. As far as who cause the ball to go oob. If A1 has a throwin and releases the ball and B1 bats the ball back to A1 who is still oob, how did they rule this play.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 09:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
When I started officiating women's college the officials wore blue and white stripped shirts, white shoes (with white socks), and had the choice of wearing blue shorts, culottes, or slacks (and if a belt was worn it had to be blue; try finding a blue belt with a silver belt buckle now less). [/B][/QUOTE]Eeeeeeeeew!

MTD Sr. in culottes!

Got any pictures of yourself in uniform that you'd like to share with us, Mark?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 09:40pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
When I started officiating women's college the officials wore blue and white stripped shirts, white shoes (with white socks), and had the choice of wearing blue shorts, culottes, or slacks (and if a belt was worn it had to be blue; try finding a blue belt with a silver belt buckle now less). [/B]
Eeeeeeeeew!

MTD Sr. in culottes!

Got any pictures of yourself in uniform that you'd like to share with us, Mark? [/B][/QUOTE]

All of the "old" female officials would wear culottes. I always wore slacks when I officiated with them but there was one good looking grad student who was my age, and when she wore shorts, I would wear shorts. I never had the intestinal fortitude to wear culotttes. LOL

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[i]
All of the "old" female officials would wear culottes. I always wore slacks when I officiated with them but there was one good looking grad student who was my age, and when she wore shorts, I would wear shorts. I never had the intestinal fortitude to wear culotttes. LOL

MTD, Sr. [/B]
What are culottes?
Old Sat Jan 03, 2004, 10:06pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
[i]

MTD, Sr.
What are culottes? [/B]
They are shorts that look like a skirt.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jan 04, 2004, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

What you say

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[i]

MTD, Sr.
What are culottes?
They are shorts that look like a skirt. [/B]
Back to the timeouts! My favorite pet peeve when working a two man crew is when you are the trail, cross court from the benches with a thousand delerious fans and you got some coach screaming "side out, side out." Sure sounds like timeout to me. Which is one more reason for you to look at that coach to verify that timeout.