The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 03:15pm
Administrator

The 2003-04 NFHS Casebook has the following play:

5.10.1 SITUATION A: The score is tied with two seconds remaining in the game. A1 is awarded a bonus free throw. After the ball has been placed at the disposal of A1, B1 disconcerts A1. The free-throw attempt is missed. The timer does not hear the official’s whistle sound and permits the clock to start. May the referee put the two seconds back on the clock? RULING: Yes. The rules provide “ the referee may correct the mistake only when he/she has definite information relative to time involved.” The referee no only orders the timer to put two seconds back on the clock but also awards A1 a substitute throw for the disconcertion by B1. In instances where the time has not made an obvious mistake, the referee is not authorized to either put time on the clock or to take time off the clock.

Based on the above Casebook Play, how should the following plays be handled.

PLAY #1: The score is tied with two seconds remaining in the game. A1 is awarded a bonus free throw. After the ball has been placed at the disposal of A1, B1 disconcerts A1. The free-throw attempt is successful. The timer permits the clock to start.

PLAY #2: The score is tied with two seconds remaining in the game. A1 is awarded a bonus free throw. After the ball has been placed at the disposal of A1, B1 disconcerts A1. The free-throw attempt is missed. The trail official mistakenly signals the timer to start the clock, thus permitting the clock to start. Time runs out: (a) after A1 has started the act of shooting; (b) after A1 has released his attempt but before it has been determined that the attempt will be successful or will not be successful; or (c) after it has been determined that the attempt is not successful.

PLAY #3: The score is tied with two seconds remaining in the game. A1 is awarded a bonus free throw. After the ball has been placed at the disposal of A1, B1 disconcerts A1. The free-throw attempt is successful. The trail official mistakenly signals the timer to start the clock, thus permitting the clock to start. Time runs out: (a) after A1 has started the act of shooting; (b) after A1 has released his attempt but before it has been determined that the attempt will be successful or will not be successful; or (c) after it has been determined that the attempt is successful.

What should be the ruling in each of these plays? If B1’s disconcertion violation was changed any other type of free-throw violation would the ruling in each of these plays be different?

[Edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. on Dec 31st, 2003 at 05:43 PM]
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 05:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'll bite. I don't have the book handy, so I'll rule this as if I were on the court right now.

#1:
Are you saying the referee mistakenly blew his whistle? I've got a "do-over" with B getting the ball, running the endline.

#2:
All three cases. Blow it dead, put the time back on, and shoot the free throw again.

#3:
I'm not sure about this play, it's confusing reading.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 05:26pm
Huck Finn

OK, I'm not going to ignore you like some people might.

Play 1 - Why did the officials whistle sound and why would the timer think the clock should start?

Play 2 - Are you saying that the lead didn't see B1 disconcert A1? If you are saying the free throw is missed and the trail mistakenly chops the clock then would it be safe to assume that the lead did catch the disconcertion? If so then all action after that is blown dead and the time is put back on the clock like your situation says.

Play 3 - The free throw is good so the old lead new trail should be the one to chop the clock in.

I must be missing something. Are you going to take your titles out of your signature?
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 06:46pm
Administrator

to: Snagwells and Tomegun

I did not do a good job of proof reading before I posted it. I edited Play #1. The official did not sound his whistle. I guess I am getting senile in my old age. So please go back and re-read it. Thank you.

Happy New Year

MTD, Sr.

[Edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. on Dec 31st, 2003 at 05:53 PM]
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 07:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
The 2003-04 NFHS Casebook has the following play:

PLAY #1: The score is tied with two seconds remaining in the game. A1 is awarded a bonus free throw. After the ball has been placed at the disposal of A1, B1 disconcerts A1. The free-throw attempt is successful. The timer permits the clock to start.

[Edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. on Dec 31st, 2003 at 05:43 PM]
I see this as pretty simple. The free throw went in. Put the time back on the clock and give B the ball, allowing them to run the end line if they wish. Given that no play is likely to have taken place in the two seconds immediately following the made basket (it takes that long for most players to get set for the throw), it's an easy call here.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 09:47pm
We don't rent pigs

related?

This really happened. 6.5 seconds left, home team ahead by 1, shooting the 2nd of 2 free throws. On the release, V1 leaps out into the middle of the lane (I got the shooter!!) committing an obvious lane violation. Free throw is missed, violating kid gets the rebound, whistle for the violation, (hand never went down) and I look up to see the clock as it stops on 4.5 seconds. As I start to the table the visiting coach mumbles, "How many damn free throws they gonna get?" Several people heard this, I didn't. I get to the table, "We have a violation so we have 1 more free throw and we need to put 2 seconds back on the clock." Visiting coach is now officially unhappy, but I honestly don't know what he had to complain about. So now he says, loud enough for everyone to hear, "How in the hell can this happen!" I didn't even look in his direction. "Okay, now we have a T on the head coach over here, 1 more free throw plus 2 more for the T and red's ball, and we still need 6.5
back on the clock." Home team won, visiting team left without shaking hands, and this school went on to become the school with the famous principal that says if he sees me ready to call one of his games again he will take his kids and go home. Around these parts, this story has been told and retold throughout the land.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Jan 01, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Mark,
I am assuming that this is the second of the bonus (one and one)so that B is going to have the ball for throw in if the second shot is made. So if the basket is good then B has a throw in. If the clock is started prematurly or in error, for whatever reason, we will reset to two seconds and go to throw in for B. If needed I will come to my partner quickly (particularly if they started it in error)and then I will probably make a very brief and quick statement to the table for the coaches to hear and communicate what happened.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2004, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Play #1: Delayed violation for disconcertion is ignored since the throw was successful. Reset the clock to 2 seconds and shoot the bonus throw. While you are telling the timer to reset the clock to 2 seconds, remind them not to start the clock until the official "chops" it in.

Play #2: The delayed violation for disconcertion causes the ball to become dead when it is unsuccessful. Reset clock to 2 seconds and administer substitute throw.

Play #3: Same as #1

Same result for lane violations on B. Goal tending is a T and for BI it would depend on when or if ball was touched.

Mregor