The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

This happened in a Jr. High game a couple weeks ago. A1 is dribbling in the front court and is fouled by B1. I glance at the scoreboard and see that B has 6 fouls so I'm expecting to shoot a 1-1. After reporting the foul, I wait for the scorer to indicate a 1-1 situation. She never does. I then go to the table and ask if we are in the 1-1 and the reply is "no". So I simply assumed she had changed the scoreboard before I looked up at it. Coach of A sends in a sub for the player who was fouled. A1 inbounds the ball and we play for a few seconds and there is a travel on A2. Now the scorer is repeatedly buzzing the horn and motions me over to the table and says that we were indeed in the one-and-one for the previous foul. I step back and think about it and realize we are still within the timeframe for correcting the error. However, the player who was fouled is now on the bench. Do I bring him back in to shoot the free throws or do I make his sub shoot them. Keep in mind this was Jr. High and in the interests of expediency I simply brought the kid off the bench to shoot the 1-1 and then sent him back to the bench afterwards. What would be the appropriate thing if this were a varsity game or a playoff game, or any game of more importance.

Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I was just reading this area of the rulebook yesterday and I want to say you did do the right thing. And thats what I would do in that situation. Also sometimes physically walking up to the book and checking in a situation like that helps too.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

I would ask the coach to sub the player back in. It's up to him whether he takes him back out after the FTs or not.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Best advice I’ve received regarding correctable errors:

SLOW DOWN! If something seems wrong, it probably is. Ask questions of your partner and/or scorers/timekeepers if uncertain.

Applying this in this situation, since you noted the 6 team fouls and no change to 7 when you reported the new foul and the scorers response ‘didn’t seem right’, you would have SLOWED DOWN and said to yourself: “something doesn’t seem right” – gone to the bench and asked questions and caught the error before it became a ‘correctable error’ situation.

When you’re able to pull off one or more of these types of situations in a game your self-confidence begins to recover from all the humbling experiences we often go through.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davidw
Best advice I’ve received regarding correctable errors:

SLOW DOWN! If something seems wrong, it probably is. Ask questions of your partner and/or scorers/timekeepers if uncertain.

Applying this in this situation, since you noted the 6 team fouls and no change to 7 when you reported the new foul and the scorers response ‘didn’t seem right’, you would have SLOWED DOWN and said to yourself: “something doesn’t seem right” – gone to the bench and asked questions and caught the error before it became a ‘correctable error’ situation.

Similarly, I have been advised that when you have to ask a question of the table, frame it such that it requires a specific answer. In this situation rather than "are we in 1-1?" I am now in habit of asking "how many team fouls on B?". This eliminates the head nod/shake as an answer and requires scorer to look, count and answer specifically.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
good point ML ... never thought of it like that.