The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

As someone who does this all too often, training Intramural officials, I would add a couple of things to stress. Most new officials have the belief that if I don't blow the whistle, no one will be unhappy. You need to work with them so that they blow the whistle a little too much. I tell my students that I would rather have someone come in and complain that our officials are calling too many fouls, not the other way around. The second big area is to let them know that officiating is not a spectator sport. Concentrate on the area of coverage, not the ball. They will want to chase the ball all over the court.

My suggestion, 30 minutes of rules, 30 minutes of mechanics stations, and then on court. I agree that if they have some experience, take a look at them to see what they know and then concentrate on the newer folks. Good luck.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

I started training high school students to ref in my town's rec league last year. I developed my own material -- focusing on what "matters" in rec ball -- both rules and mechanics.

My biggest surprise after two years is that these kids do not blow the whistle when the ball is out of bounds. And that is probably the most common violation in rec ball. My bottom line: "Talk loud, take charge and never forget: The game is about the players, not about you."

I can share my material (Word documents) if you want.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BayStateRef
I can share my material (Word documents) if you want.
Thank you. I want
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
B.I.T.S. -- The best on-going training a person can have is ... (anyone who's been on this board more than six months knows what I'm going to say)...

TAPE TAPE TAPE!!!

What you do in your initial session is important, but if you can find a way to get each official taped, and the tape reviewed by a vet and the beginner together, and do that about twice a season for each beginner, you'll multiply the learning curve by 10. Nothing is more instructive.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Agree that taping sessions on the floor and then reviewing them is the preferred way to go. Running the court with them, IMO is the worst way to go. Book session, floor session, tape review and then group discussion. The quicker you get them on the floor I think the better chance you have of them staying around (also you can weed out those who obviously will not make it quicker).
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RefRx
Book session, floor session, tape review and then group discussion. The quicker you get them on the floor I think the better chance you have of them staying around (also you can weed out those who obviously will not make it quicker).

If you have a group of any significant size, getting enough "quality" court time is tricky. My class had 8 kids and they varied a lot in quality. I was not ready to toss half of them out because they did not "get it" as quickly as the others, but it is a large investment in time to do this right. In addition, the program they will be working in has to be very tolerant. I had one ref last year who would not blow the whistle, even if a kid was dribbling with both feet out of bounds. The program coordinator told me he would rather have a parent who knew nothing about basketball mechanics or ruls serve as ref than this kid.

And now that I have a couple of kids from last year who did very well, they want a lot of game assignments this year as I try to juggle the new kids into court sessions.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2004, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Camron & Baystateref can you please send me a copy of your condensed rules? [email protected] *(yes i am a chef along with a ref)

[Edited by PAT THE REF on Jan 1st, 2004 at 10:16 PM]
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Camron and BITS,
Please send me your condensed information booklets as well.
[email protected]

Thanks
Old Fri Jan 02, 2004, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Hi Camron Rust, I too would like a copy of your 8 page rules/mechanics. Please send to [email protected]
Thanks,
Bart