View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RefRx
Book session, floor session, tape review and then group discussion. The quicker you get them on the floor I think the better chance you have of them staying around (also you can weed out those who obviously will not make it quicker).

If you have a group of any significant size, getting enough "quality" court time is tricky. My class had 8 kids and they varied a lot in quality. I was not ready to toss half of them out because they did not "get it" as quickly as the others, but it is a large investment in time to do this right. In addition, the program they will be working in has to be very tolerant. I had one ref last year who would not blow the whistle, even if a kid was dribbling with both feet out of bounds. The program coordinator told me he would rather have a parent who knew nothing about basketball mechanics or ruls serve as ref than this kid.

And now that I have a couple of kids from last year who did very well, they want a lot of game assignments this year as I try to juggle the new kids into court sessions.