The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
White couldn't have lost this game if they'd have walked off the court at the end of the third quarter.

Middle of second quarter, green gets a break, passes the ball downcourt to player all alone who bobbles the ball a couple of times, dribbles once and actually made a lay-up. I called nothing. White fans and coach go crazy wanting a travel. I said, "Coach, she didn't have control of the ball." He says, "I know she didn't have control, but it's still a travel." Sheez...

P.S. Brilliant dad in stands yells, "What rule book are you using anyway?"
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Had a coach last night just crack me up! His girls were getting beat by 30 in the 3rd quarter and he says, "Sheila, DO NOT GIVE UP YOUR SPOT! We have got to have road blocks and tire spikes to stop these girls!"

I went past him still laughing, and said, "I can honestly say that I've never heard the term "tire spikes" in a basketball game!"
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

rainmaker...have had similar bs from the stands lately...last time during a to, the 'loud fan' was down beside my lower block area. i turned to him and asked which one was his son...he said "number 34". i instantly called 2 fouls on 34, and slyly pointed to his dad in the stands. he was quiet the rest of the game.

this shouldn't happen...but sometimes we have to abuse the whistle...
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by jr
rainmaker...have had similar bs from the stands lately...last time during a to, the 'loud fan' was down beside my lower block area. i turned to him and asked which one was his son...he said "number 34". i instantly called 2 fouls on 34, and slyly pointed to his dad in the stands. he was quiet the rest of the game.

That's just flat out wrong.

Mregor
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mregor
Quote:
Originally posted by jr

That's just flat out wrong.

Mregor
Ouch jr...Not good.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jr

So Dad made you mad,so what.Did you ever think what Dad's
behavior does to his kid? I've had players near tears because of their parent's behavior,so you suggest that,"Sometimes we have to abuse the whistle," and take it out on the player that is probably as mad at their dad as you are.

You either ignore it or get game management to remove the fan,but you NEVER make up stuff to get even.If you do think
that it is okay,you should not be officiating.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 01:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by jr

You're kidding, right?

If not, you should hang up the whistle. Permanently.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jr

Too bad that you feel that inadequate about you officiating that you use your whistle to retaliate against fans. I would be asshamed to even suggest this be done let alone brag about it. And sometimes I wonder why the fans always think I am out to get their team. Now I realize they just had you the night before.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 04:00pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally posted by jr

WOW, there's an official destined for underclass games, if he/she is lucky.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 04:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I agree, this is an awful abuse of the whistle. And no, we never "have to abuse the whistle." Your little power trip hurts the reputation of all who wear the stripes, and it degrades all of us as well. The only redeeming part is that Dad now knows how vindictive you are, and I hope he reported your a$$ to the league, assignor, or whomever is appropriate.
You need to drop your ego off in your car and remember your pride isn't bigger than the game.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy don't know the whole story

Quote:
Originally posted by jr
... turned to him and asked which one was his son...he said "number 34". i instantly called 2 fouls on 34, and slyly pointed to his dad in the stands. he was quiet the rest of the game.
Don't know the entire story but perhaps we have misunderstood jr's post.

I know I've had coaches/fans screaming and hollering for a particular call... there has been a time or two when I made the call they were requesting... in the other team's favor.

Coach incessantly yelling for 3-seconds... again, and again, and again... okay coach I'll give you a 3-second call. Wanna set down and coach your kids yet? ... and let me officiate?

jr didn't say he made up the calls - only that he made them... (I imagine the use of the word "instantly" wasn't quite so instantaneous in reality... you can't call two fouls on someone during a timeout. I suspect that Dad was wanting a particular call that both teams were committing and so jr likely called what Dad asked for...

Don't know, but perhaps as a whole we are being a little harsh on jr.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 04:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If that's the case, one foul would have sufficed. Also, I doubt he would have so cavalierly used the phrase "abuse the whistle." I could be wrong, and his post is surely incomplete with regard to the situation as it really transpired, but it doesn't look good.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2003, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Re: don't know the whole story

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:
Originally posted by jr
... turned to him and asked which one was his son...he said "number 34". i instantly called 2 fouls on 34, and slyly pointed to his dad in the stands. he was quiet the rest of the game.
Don't know the entire story but perhaps we have misunderstood jr's post.

I know I've had coaches/fans screaming and hollering for a particular call... there has been a time or two when I made the call they were requesting... in the other team's favor.

Coach incessantly yelling for 3-seconds... again, and again, and again... okay coach I'll give you a 3-second call. Wanna set down and coach your kids yet? ... and let me officiate?

jr didn't say he made up the calls - only that he made them... (I imagine the use of the word "instantly" wasn't quite so instantaneous in reality... you can't call two fouls on someone during a timeout. I suspect that Dad was wanting a particular call that both teams were committing and so jr likely called what Dad asked for...

Don't know, but perhaps as a whole we are being a little harsh on jr.
If anything we are not being harsh enough!There is nothing
in his post that has any redeeming quality.I don't see how
you can read anything into it that suggests that it was not
getting even with Dad by calling stuff against his kid on purpose.When you use,"Instantly,slyly,and abuse of your whistle," in a post you are asking to get heat.

We have all had the,"Be careful what you ask for coach,"
situations,but that is a long way from intentionally calling 2 fouls because the kid's dad pissed you off,just to one up the loud mouth.

It is an abuse of power,it is unprofessional,it makes ALL officials look bad,and even if it was not all of those things,it is stupid because it punishes an innocent kid because their dad is a jerk.
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

wow..i didn't think the post would get this much heat...

i would do it again, when the situation warranted...

i am an experienced official. i would not just MAKE UP a call, but if the call needed to be made, and i could stick it to the fan and the player, i would do it in a heartbeat...
Old Wed Dec 31, 2003, 03:55am
Official Forum Member

Childish and poor man-management skills. I can see that you sure are proud about it.