The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

How do you administer these 2 situations? They both happened in Var. Game.

Sit. 1. At 15min. prior to game team b member dunks. Then at 10:00 mark home book does not have anything written.
How do you administer these 2 T's for start of game?

Sit. 2. At end of 2nd quarter A1 is fouled in act of shooting as time runs out. While the ball is in air for 2nd shot of free throws, official blows whistle and T's team B coach at bench before shot ends.
How do you administer possession arrow for start of 3rd quarter?
Looked in book, cant find it! Please help!!!
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member

Sit 1:

I would assume that team B is the visiting team. Enforce the penalties in the order the fouls happened. So home shoots 2 shots, then B shoots two shots and gets the ball at the division line with the arrow pointing towards Home's basket.

Sit 2:

I'm not too sure about this one, but I would rule that the T happened after the end of the quarter, and give 2 more shots to A, and let A start the second half, with the arrow favouring the team it did at the end of the 1st half. Please someone correct me if i'm wrong on this one.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Sit 2: After A takes the 2 T foul shots, the half is over.
Resume the 3rd quater using the AP as it was at the end of 2nd quarter. You ignore the team A possession following the T as it does not carry over to a new quarter.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with situation 1, no problem there. Situation 2 is a little weird but my thought is that since you don't carry over a penalty from one period to the next you would shoot the T and just go with the arrow to start the 3rd quarter. I kind of disagree with your statement that the T occured after the end of the 2nd, because until the shot is done, it isn't over, and the T is called during the shot, so the T occured in the 2nd quarter. If it had occured after the the shot, then we would start the T to start the 3rd quarter and A would have the ball at the division line without regard to who has the arrow. IMHO

damn it nine01c beat me to it...... whew we agree LOL
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

I wasn't too sure on the second one, I have the most trouble with T's administered in between periods, in situations like that.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Luv2Ref
How do you administer these 2 situations? They both happened in Var. Game.

Sit. 1. At 15min. prior to game team b member dunks. Then at 10:00 mark home book does not have anything written.
How do you administer these 2 T's for start of game?

Looked in book, cant find it! Please help!!!
Be aware that there is no requirement that information be in the book at this time. It is only required that the scorer be supplied with the information by the 10:00 mark. If the coach has handed it to the scorer on a paper napkin with 10:01 on the clock, it's good enough. I'd even go for the coach saying "use the same as the page before". The infomation is there. We shouldn't penalize a team for the scorer's inability to write incredibly fast.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Someone please give me rulebook or casebook refences for your interpretations. I use this for explanations for my officials class.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Luv2Ref
Someone please give me rulebook or casebook refences for your interpretations. I use this for explanations for my officials class.
Situation 1

Basketball Rules Fundamentals
12. Penalties for fouls are administered in the order in which they occur.

Situation 2

5-6-3
The quarter or extra period ends when the free throw(s) and all related activity have been completed. No penalty or part of a penalty carries over from one quarter or extra period to the next.