The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to PAT THE REF
Arrow T or no T

Hey everyone, i have 5 questions/situations to ask whether or not you would give the player a technical:

1. A1 is shooting their free throws from the line and B1 makes a rude noise as the ball goes up. As a result A1 misses the shot.

2. A1 is shooting their free throws from the line and B1 yells out "miss" as the ball goes up. As a result A1 misses the shot.

3. A1 is shooting their free throws from the line and B2 who is sitting on the bench yells as the ball goes up. As a result A1 misses the shot.

4. A1 is running down the court and attempts a layup as the opposing coach shouts at his player (such as "Bad Block Joey"). A1 misses the shot.

5. The real question I am asking is can and when should a referee give a T when foul shots are taken and things (what things) are said.

Thank You
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Pat --

I wouldn't give a T for any of these. When A1 is shooting free throws, you just give the delayed violation signal (it looks like half a double foul), and if the shot is missed, give a replacement shot. If B1 keeps violating, and there is something to be gained by not finishing the game (I mean, he's just stalling) you could T him, but usually when they realize they're only hurting themselves, they'll quit.

On the drive and lay-up, there's no reason to T the coach. Whenever he yells at his player -- unless it's profane or otherwise offensive -- is perfectly legal.

You gotta save the T for the big stuff -- like an extra color on the jerseys!
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 11:48am
In Memoriam

Pat, your questions 1-3 are examples of disconcertion on a free throw. Disconcertion on a free throw is a violation under Rule 9-1-5, and the penalty is a substitute free throw if the original FT was missed.You can also call a technical foul on a player(or team,if you can't identify someone on the bench who disconcerts) if you deem the disconcertion persisent or unsporting. In your question 4, there is no rule in the book against yelling at a player during a lay-up. If it was obscene, etc., you could call a T- but you could never award points or re-shoot the lay-up.

Disconcertion was a POE a coupla years ago.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2003, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

I agree, no T's for any of that. They are only hurting themselves by allowing the other team extra opportunities to shoot free throws. However, I will tell team B that it is a violation and to knock it off. For the bench I will tell them the same and the coach will stop it as the last thing they want is to give the other team more free throws. A T buys you nothing here. Now if they intentionally kept it up after you told them to stop and the coach does not want to put a stop to it we have a different situation and there may be a case for a T, but not just for the disconcerting.