The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
I had a veteran come up to me last week and said I was improperly placing the ball after the ball went out of bounds under the basket (3 sec lane area) He stated just keep the ball on the lead side (2 man) no matter if the ball goes out on either side of the basket (3 sec lane area)

This seems lazy to me. If the ball goes out closer to the lane away from the lead then shouldn't the lead cross over and the Trail move to the other side of the Court

Stewcall
CVBOA in VA
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, you are correct the ball always is put in play at the nearest spot oob.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, the vet is lazy and incorrect.

Z
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Yep, the vet is lazy and incorrect.

Z
thanks !
Stewcall
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to belcantor Send a message via AIM to belcantor Send a message via Yahoo to belcantor
OOB under the basket

Isn't it acceptable when there is no defensive pressure to bounce pass to the player waiting to inbound the ball on the correct side of the key without forcing your partner to trade sides?
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, only for a backcourt situation.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Count me as a little lazy then.

I don't take it on a strict line down the middle of the lane. I break it up more into thirds. If it is in near the middle (roughly the middle third), I choose the side. If it is in either outer third, I go to that side. I figure my view from a good lead position usually does not give me that precise of a view of the exact spot anyway.

However, I see many take it completely across the lane from where it went out....that's truly lazy.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 06:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

One thing to remember is that a lot of teams have specific plays set up for each side of the court. If they are entitled to a specific spot, we need to give it to them.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up You beat me to it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
One thing to remember is that a lot of teams have specific plays set up for each side of the court. If they are entitled to a specific spot, we need to give it to them.
You must NEVER forget this!
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

OK I'll stir the pot

If the ball goes OOB away from lead, why cant lead go across the paint and hand in the ball (Trail stays where they are at)? You are just doing a strong side mechanic... Ball is still boxed in- Trail has off ball and any funky weakside stuff. Lead has the stuff in front of him..

Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: OOB under the basket

If the ball goes OOB inside the lane, you're allowed to put the ball in play on either side. The lane is not divided down the middle, so that if it goes out to the left of the basket, you put the ball in play to the left of the basket. As long as the ball goes out inside the lane, it's perfectly acceptable to put it back in play without forcing your partner to rotate across the court.

Now, if the ball goes OOB outside the lane, across the lane from the Lead, then absolutely put the ball in play on that side of the basket and force your partner to rotate across the court.

Quote:
Originally posted by belcantor
Isn't it acceptable when there is no defensive pressure to bounce pass to the player waiting to inbound the ball on the correct side of the key without forcing your partner to trade sides?
Quote:
Originally posted by Bart]
Only in the NBA, Bart. Don't do this in HS or NCAA games.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Re: OK I'll stir the pot

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
If the ball goes OOB away from lead, why cant lead go across the paint and hand in the ball (Trail stays where they are at)? You are just doing a strong side mechanic...
This is what we used to do, right Kelvin? And in fact, it's still the pro 2-whistle mechanic, I think. But now FED wants the Lead to be ball side as much as possible. Since the ball is starting there, they figure the Lead should start there, too, I guess.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: OOB under the basket

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe I missed something. The mechanics in HS and NCAA Women's say we can Bounce the ball accross the lane in the BC. Am I miss reading the question?
Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: OOB under the basket

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe I missed something. The mechanics in HS and NCAA Women's say we can Bounce the ball accross the lane in the BC. Am I miss reading the question?
Sigh. My tagline should say something about how all my NCAA references are for men. The women's mechanics are very similar to the pro mechanics, so you're probably right about NCCAW being allowed to bounce across the lane.

As for HS and NCAAM, my original statement is correct. You are NOT allowed to bounce the ball across the lane for a throw-in. I don't have this year's NCAA mechanics manual (CCA, or whatever it is); but the Fed Official's Manual says: "All throw-ins on either end line shall be made with the administering official outside the thrower -- between the sideline and the thrower." (paragraph 218) and "When administering throw-ins on the end line and remaining in the front court, handing the ball to the thrower is recommended." (paragraph 220).
Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Was this a change this year for NF?