The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Question

Does Rule 5-12-5 apply to all bench personnel? I believe it does. I have had officials say this only applies to players that are in the game. Even though it clearly shows this on page 42 in the simplified and illustrated book.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to BOBBYMO Send a message via Yahoo to BOBBYMO
Kevin-

I believe that it only applies to the players that are in the game although I would think that any good coach would want all of his / her players to be standing up also listening to what is being said in the time out.

Welcome to the Officials forum as I see that you just signed up this morning. Its a great site to learn from others and to ask questions of your own. Good luck the rest of the season.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Dunn
Does Rule 5-12-5 apply to all bench personnel? I believe it does. I have had officials say this only applies to players that are in the game. Even though it clearly shows this on page 42 in the simplified and illustrated book.
What are you specifically asking about?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

30 Second timeout

What I am specifically asking about is:
1- Should we as officials enforce the standing rule for players not in the game. I know it may sound picky, but there has to be a reason for the rule. Once again, you never know when you may be evaluated.
2- What is the ruling if the head coach does not comply with the request to have his/her entire team stand?
3- If we are mentoring an official, what & why do we enfore this particular rule?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: 30 Second timeout

Quote:
1- Should we as officials enforce the standing rule for players not in the game. I know it may sound picky, but there has to be a reason for the rule. Once again, you never know when you may be evaluated.
2- What is the ruling if the head coach does not comply with the request to have his/her entire team stand?
3- If we are mentoring an official, what & why do we enfore this particular rule?
Reasoning is that 30 seconds goes by too fast for the team to find a seat, get instructions, break at the first horn & be ready to play at second horn. I don't think I've ever had to ask a coach to stand during 30s but that's what you're supposed to do...if they refuse you can always bang 'em, but I like to think I'll be able to handle it before it goes there.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: 30 Second timeout

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
1- Should we as officials enforce the standing rule for players not in the game.
Reasoning is that 30 seconds goes by too fast for the team to find a seat, get instructions, break at the first horn & be ready to play at second horn.
It sounds to me like Kevin is asking about those players who are already seated, viz., bench personnel. He's not worried about the players in the game; he knows they have to stand. He's asking if the official should require the bench personnel to stand during the TO.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Kevin, bench personnel do not have to stand during a 30 second TO. Players are required to stand. Bench personnel are not players. Players are the 5 team members who are legally in the game.

If they start to sit, simply tell them that they have to stand.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2003, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Re: Re: Re: 30 Second timeout

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
1- Should we as officials enforce the standing rule for players not in the game.
Reasoning is that 30 seconds goes by too fast for the team to find a seat, get instructions, break at the first horn & be ready to play at second horn.
It sounds to me like Kevin is asking about those players who are already seated, viz., bench personnel. He's not worried about the players in the game; he knows they have to stand. He's asking if the official should require the bench personnel to stand during the TO.
Oh. Never mind.

Who cares what the bench personel do during 30s? I like to ask the assistants to go get me a hotdog & some gatorade during fulls...but that's just me...