The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 22, 2000, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am currently refereeing modified NCAA rules in BC Canada, and I've come up with a bit of a nightmare rules interpretation. The NCAA rules committee has changed the severity of a technical foul, so that possession of the basketball is no longer included as a penalty against the team who gets a T. Further to this, an administrative technical foul (hanging on the rim, wearing wrong jersey number, excessive timeouts, etc.) is now only a one shot penalty and does not include possession. Having said this, if a team is out of timeouts, they can "buy" one at the expense of a technical foul. But by rule if they were in possession of the ball they would not only keep the ball but get a reset on the shot clock (any foul causes a reset of the shot clock, except a double foul). This is a BIG advantage. Here's a scenario: Team A leads the game 65-63. Team A is out of timeouts. There are 45 seconds left on the game clock. Team A has the ball in their back court to throw in on their endline. In theory, they could run the shot clock down to 16 seconds (we play a 30 second shot clock), call an excessive timeout, Team B would get 1 shot as a result of the technical, Team A would get the ball back with a new shot clock, and could run out the clock unless team B fouls them. If Team A had timeouts remaining, team B could play good defence and get the ball back with a chance to win or tie the game. Now because Team A has used all of their timeouts, they are given an advantage. This really seems unfair. This seems like a HUGE advantage to give a team who has just received a technical foul. Are we going to give Team A the timeout and reset the shot clock? If so, how many excessive timeouts could Team A call excessively? 1? 2? 3?

Help in this situation would be appreciated!
Old Wed Nov 22, 2000, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, this is a loophole.

A could call as many TOs as they wanted.

The NCAA knows about this; I would assume the Canada equivalent does too.

THe NCAA doesn't think it will be a problem; they will address it if is. Personally, I think they should address it before the fact -- in one of those memos they post periodically on the website.
Old Thu Nov 23, 2000, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

JamieSlick

What association are you from?, I can provide you with the answer you are looking for. I too am from BC. Contact me at sholbech@hotmail and i will forward the infomation you require.

Thanks
sh
keep smiling
Old Sat Nov 25, 2000, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

I guess if it becomes a real problem with the same coach calling excessive TO's, couldn't or rather shouldn't you hit him with an unsportsman T?
Old Sat Nov 25, 2000, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

I do not see how you could give a T to the coach for this it is the players calling timeout. If teams start doing this, they might change the rule where it would called on the bench. but i do not see doing it under current rules.
Old Tue Nov 28, 2000, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I wonder if there is basis for questioning the premise, here, that the shot clock MUST be reset after a technical foul. I know the book says reset "after a foul," but think about it: We resume the game AT THE POINT OF INTERRUPTION. To me, and several other college officials I checked with, nothing changes from the time of the "T" to the time of resuming play--you simply have a free throw, then take up where you left off, shot clock included. I'm betting that the "point of interruption" procedure takes precedence over the resetting of the shot clock. And that certainly makes sense in terms of being able to avoid an unintended advantage to the offending team as Jamie described.
Old Tue Nov 28, 2000, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Todd, I believe the NCAA has made it clear, reset after all fouls including T-fouls. JamieSlick, I maybe wrong, but i thought hanging on rim was unsporting T. Providing its not for safty.
Old Tue Nov 28, 2000, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, Bart. Can you find that somewhere in writing? All my materials from my NCAA rules meeting that deal with the new "technical" guidelines make no mention of the shot clock, which I find strange. I'd like some peace of mind on this one before I face it in a game.
Old Tue Nov 28, 2000, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Todd,

Here is a link to a November, 2000 clarification on NCAA Women's Rules, Item A.1. deals with resetting the shot clock on Technicals.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/baske...ing_bulletins/
Old Tue Nov 28, 2000, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks, rpwall! That's just what I needed. Now I can sleep at night.
Old Tue Nov 28, 2000, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
JamieSlick, I maybe wrong, but i thought hanging on rim was unsporting T. Providing its not for safty.
No. It's an indirect T. 10-3-12
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 03:58am
Official Forum Member

The womens committee specifically says that there should be a resetting of the shot clock on ALL T's... This will have to change.. Just think what could happen in the last minute of a close game.

keep smiling
SH
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Thank yous

Thanks for all of your help in this situation. i feel better about the scenario, but still think the NCAA will have to change this to a 2 shot penalty for excessive timeouts (even if it's only in the last 2 minutes). I know this situation won't happen very often, but it will happen, especially if the coach knows the rules. This is too big of an advantage to not address early

JamieSlick
Old Thu Nov 30, 2000, 02:43pm
Esteemed Participant

Had a game several weeks ago at a D-II school and the coach asked this exact question when we arrived at the site (he was sitting in the gym about 2 hours before game time and pulled the infamous "Hey, I've got a question for you)...he asked about the scenario where he is up by 4 or 5 points with less than a minute left and shot clock running out - can he "buy" a time-out with a T and then get the ball back after one shot with a fresh 30? The answer was yes...his exact response was "Super - gotta tell my assistant to remember that in case it comes up." Could be lots of fun...