The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Texas-Duke men's game today. Did anyone else see this? Texas player is called for a personal foul, then receives a technical foul. The officials shot the 1-and-1 before the two shots for the technical. Unfortunately, I cannot remember where and to which team the ball was inbounded.

Maybe I'm having a brain cramp today, but isn't a technical foul in NCAA administered with the point of interruption procedure? Shouldn't they have shot the 2 tech free throws, then lined up everyone for the 1-and-1? Or is that just in women's college ball?
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I didn't see the game, but if the technical was ruled intentional (dead ball contact), then the penalty is 2 shots and the ball. So you would do it the same way we do it in HS.
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, Chuck, that is exactly what happened. Thanks for clearing it up. I would assume then that "point of interruption" procedure only constitutes when a technical foul is called while the ball is live? Does that go for both NCAA men's and women's?
Old Sun Dec 21, 2003, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Yes, Chuck, that is exactly what happened. Thanks for clearing it up. I would assume then that "point of interruption" procedure only constitutes when a technical foul is called while the ball is live? Does that go for both NCAA men's and women's?
Not necessarily. You have to look at the penalty. Is it 2FTs and POI or 2FTs and possession.

An intentional technical's penalty is 2FTs plus possession at mid-court. Same for a flagrant.

A direct or indirect technical is 2FTs and POI.

Jay