The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Question

Prior to the game a technical foul is charged to team A. While the ball is at the disposal of B-1 for the first attempt a double personal foul is called. Following the free throws for the technical foul the offical resumes play with a jump ball with the two involved players.

On the IAABO test the answer is true. Why? I thought the possesion arrow arrow was established for team B when team A was charged with a technical foul
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

The arrow is not established until the throw in following the T is complete. My question is how do you get a double personal on a dead ball (yes the ball is live when the thrower has it, but the action away from the lane is still "dead ball" in my opinion)?

My guess is you would/should have a double technical. The administration would still be the same, with the offenders jumping.

On a personal note, with good preventive and dead ball officiating this should never happen. If it does you are in for a very long night. Probably followed by multiple adult beverages.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

A more likely situation for this to occur would be before the start of overtime. Since no players are on the lane for the FT, I just might make this an unsportsmanlike Tfoul.

The arrow is not set until the ball is at the disposal of the thrower (of the throwin) after the FTs for a non-common foul. As soon as the ball is in the throwers hands, the arrow is set ot the other team. It does not wait until the throw-in is complete. If anything happens prior to the ball being at the disposal of the thrower of throwin, it essentially cancels the after effects of the first foul.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Thing to remember withe IAABO and the NF test is that they bring up situations that will happen at most once in your career. They want to see how well you know that rule book. Whether or not you can officiate around it is not in the rules test.

To answer your question, this is a false multiple situation and you are to administer the penalities in the order they were performed. First is the T. Then the double foul. Since the pocession arrow is awarded when the ball is handed to A1 for the throwin and this hasn't happened, we go to the backup rule which is the jump ball in the center restraining circle between the two players commiting the double foul.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Cameron,

I hate to quote rule book, but in rule 6.3.4 it states "The direction of the possession arrow is reversed immediately after an alternating possesion throw in ends. An alternating throw in ends when the throw in ends or if the throw in team violates".

I interpret this, as does OH, that the arrow is not set (via reversal) until the throw in ends off a T to start the game. Any thoughts?

Also, the arrow does not change if there is a foul on either team, before the throw-in ends, so if this occured after the ball was adinistered for the throw in, it would still go to a center jump.

[Edited by Brian Watson on Nov 21st, 2000 at 11:40 AM]
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Brian, look at the case book on 6.3.4. It states the pocession arrow is set when the ball is handed to the player for the throw in in the case of initially setting the pocession arrow after a technical foul to start the game or OT period.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Brian,

I may not understand your question, but here's my take. You quote the rule regarding "reversing" the arrow, not setting the direction of the intitial arrow (NFHS 4-3).

The initial arrow is set once the ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower after the free throws for a technical (i.e., non-common) foul.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2000, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies. I do agree with you that this should never happen. In 15 years I have never seen it. However, it is interesting to discuss the situation. Thanks again for everyone's reply.
Old Wed Nov 22, 2000, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
Thing to remember withe IAABO and the NF test is that they bring up situations that will happen at most once in your career. They want to see how well you know that rule book. Whether or not you can officiate around it is not in the rules test.
Having seen the IAABO Refresher Exam for the first time this year, I have to say that I like it better. The NF test is a series of correctly or incorrectly worded rules. You have to take the test often enough to understand whcih answer the NF is looking for.

The IABO exam seems to be more of a practical look at different plays. Like you said, it may be a once in a lifetime thing, but anything can happen.
Old Wed Nov 22, 2000, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Does this IABBO have a web site or number to call for info?
Old Wed Nov 22, 2000, 08:52am
In Memoriam

Brian,

http://www.iaabo.org/

mick
Old Wed Nov 22, 2000, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

You know, it is funny on this subject. I have taken test and seen questions that look abserd. Then I get in a game and I see the situation and think those guys at IAABO are geniuses.