The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Anyone have a polite way to tell a coach that "it's not my call" without selling out your partner?

Here's the situation:
3 whistle
I'm L opposite table. Fast break tableside. Defender hustles into position and gets set to take a charge. I'm straightlined as far as the offensive player is concerned. Ball comes in from my opposite side (C's primary). Contact occurs on the opposite block. C's got no call and I'm staring at a car wreck and don't pull the trigger, thinking my C (10+ yrs. of experience) will call it. Coach and fans go crazy but that fades soon. In talking with the C, he thought I would call it and I gave him first crack since it originated and stayed in his primary.

Is there a good way to tell the coach that it's not really my call? There were no other players in my primary so I couldn't really tell her that I was looking off ball. I don't think she would have accepted the notion that I was straightlined. I felt it was too big of a collision for me to tell her I simply passed on it. I ended up telling her later in the game that my partner and I talked about it and that we missed it. Not much consolation for her now that she's down 15 late in the game but I felt she was owed an explanation. I tried to be available to her after the call but she never made it a point to talk about it. Any suggestions?
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Why is it not your call?

You give him first crack. If it doesn't get it, you go get it. The important thing is to get it right. Did you?

Further, why do you feel there's a need to tell the coach that it's not your call? She's not asking, why would you want to offer such?

Also, why does it matter that you couldn't see the offensive player? Could you see the defender? If you're refereeing the defense, I don't see that it matters that you can't see the offensive player. JMHO

Sorry but I don't understand what you're thinking with regard to this entire situation. Just asking questions to get you thinking about it.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Dec 19th, 2003 at 10:07 PM]
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Agree with BBR - Train wreck needs a whistle. That's something you should actually pregame. Straightlined here means nothing. It's a fast break. You see the dribbler going hard to the hoop. You see the defender in position. You see defender get run over. You wait, no call. Tweet! That way!

Not sure why your partner thought "you would call it" when it was clearly in his primary and he clearly saw it.

I'm a bit puzzled, too, over this.

Good on you for admitting a mistake to the coach - although she didn't ask you to, either. Don't think you want to initiate that kind of conversation with coaches. If they want an explanation, they'll ask. Otherwise, let it go.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 02:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Exclamation Do not just admit mistakes.

Only admit when they are asking. Other than that, we get yelled at enough when we are totally correct, do not just offer a explanation when YOU think you messed up. So I agree with Tony and canuckrefguy on this one. But if this was the only call you think you missed, you are doing just fine. Had a call myself tonight that I totally blew, but no one said anything. That happens. Just learn from it and move to the next call. Because there will be another opportunity to mess up if you are not careful.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

'Not my call' doesn't help

One time a coach harped on me for a travel in my partner's area. What I was thinking was, 'I had no way to see that and wasn't watching for it anyway.' As I was passing him, what I said was, 'It was in his area.' And he responded with, 'Well if you SEE it, BLOW it!' Ultimately, I made a dumb comment without thinking and gave the coach some ammo. Avoid talking about your partner or his area. I've found that a coach can be satisfied with a comment like, 'Sorry, I was watching the action in the lane.' Then you are not directly saying your partner missed it and he knows you were doing your job.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
One of my favorite NBA stories. Early in his career, Dick Bavetta (I believe) had a similar situation and had no call. When asked by the coach why he didn't call it, he replied:

Quote:
Originally posted by whistleone
it's not really my call
Coach's response? "Well, whose call is it? The guy selling popcorn in the stands?!?!" He's got a point.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Dec 20th, 2003 at 09:36 AM]
Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: 'Not my call' doesn't help

Quote:
Originally posted by mplagrow
One time a coach harped on me for a travel in my partner's area. What I was thinking was, 'I had no way to see that and wasn't watching for it anyway.' As I was passing him, what I said was, 'It was in his area.' And he responded with, 'Well if you SEE it, BLOW it!'
What I've said that doesn't give ammo is, "He had a lot better look than I did." "I'm sure she had a good reason not to whistle that play" "She's a great ref, I expect you could ask her." None of these were really appropriate in whistleone's situation, but they can be useful at times.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 12:43pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Anyone have a polite way to tell a coach that "it's not my call" without selling out your partner?

If you simply say,"It's not my call," that insinuates that you agree with what the coach is asking for. If you say,
"It's tough to make that call from here," or "It's hard to see that from here," you might at least cast a small amount of doubt. If, on the other hand, you had enough of a look to describe a play as a train wreck, that when you can say
"Let's call something even if it's wrong."

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

You know the worst thing about the coaches comments of well if you see it call it, is this, this is the same guy who probably will yell at you for fishing in someone elses pond if it goes against him. Coaches also aren't really as correct as they think about our areas..... For example, last nite 2 whistle game I am trail and a slow transition play, the ball is on my side and I am following it down, the kid takes it toward the hoop pulls up for about an 8 ft jump shot, so still in my area, I have a foul, and my partner gets barked at, because he was closer and he didn't call it. Coach barked at him for me calling in what he thought was my partners area....damned howler monkey...I also semi blew one last nite too, called a PC on a kid who passed the ball and plowed over the defender, no one but me and the other officials that were with us knew but....Can I get away with airborne passer on this play???? LOL :P
Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
One I started using was. "Sorry coach I wasn't looking over there." In other words, That was not my area, and I was looking in my area.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 02:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
One of my favorite NBA stories. Early in his career, Dick Bavetta (I believe) had a similar situation and had no call. When asked by the coach why he didn't call it, he replied:

Quote:
it's not really my call
Coach's response? "Well, whose call is it? The guy selling popcorn in the stands?!?!" He's got a point.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Dec 20th, 2003 at 09:36 AM]
Yes - this was Dick Bavetta. The coach was Jack Ramsay and it happened during a Trailblazer home game in the late 70s.
Old Sat Dec 20, 2003, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

I generally say something similar to rainmaker's suggestion.
"My partner had a very good look at it"

I also add this sparingly. If I am near the coach when the play happens across the court and the coach asks me about it, I say
"Coach my partner had a very good look. I have no idea, I had the same view you had."
It's usually 2 possessions later before the light goes on.
Again, use SPARINGLY.