View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Anyone have a polite way to tell a coach that "it's not my call" without selling out your partner?

Here's the situation:
3 whistle
I'm L opposite table. Fast break tableside. Defender hustles into position and gets set to take a charge. I'm straightlined as far as the offensive player is concerned. Ball comes in from my opposite side (C's primary). Contact occurs on the opposite block. C's got no call and I'm staring at a car wreck and don't pull the trigger, thinking my C (10+ yrs. of experience) will call it. Coach and fans go crazy but that fades soon. In talking with the C, he thought I would call it and I gave him first crack since it originated and stayed in his primary.

Is there a good way to tell the coach that it's not really my call? There were no other players in my primary so I couldn't really tell her that I was looking off ball. I don't think she would have accepted the notion that I was straightlined. I felt it was too big of a collision for me to tell her I simply passed on it. I ended up telling her later in the game that my partner and I talked about it and that we missed it. Not much consolation for her now that she's down 15 late in the game but I felt she was owed an explanation. I tried to be available to her after the call but she never made it a point to talk about it. Any suggestions?
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer