The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Situation: A1 is at the line shooting the first of 2 free throws. L bounces ball to the shooter to begin free throw. After ball has been administered and and instant before the shot, T notices that B4 is in one of the lanes spaces nearest the free throw line that should be unoccupied. T holds out his hand to signal a lane violation by B4. Shot misses, lane violation called and reshoot 1st free throw. B coach calls time out to discuss what the violation was. T informs him that it is not the responsibility of the officials to have them move. How you would you handle this situation.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

I'd handle it just as he did. Of course the L should have looked at the position of the players and taken care of it before administering the ball, but he didn't. The rules make it the responsibility of the players. Tell the coach his player was in an illegal position and go on with the game.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
HS and up - the kids should know and the coach should know. Early in this season with MS (and maybe even HS JV), I would hope you would go easy on lane violations associated with the new rule, as some MS coaches may be volunteers and don't have the new rule learned or taught to their kids yet. For their sake, I hope the official would correct it before it was a violation. Same in rec ball.