The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

I was working with a a hugely competent official last night (high school) when I noticed he was wearing a "mesh" shirt, rather than the basic polyester, poly/cotton etc.

"They" told me when I started, that mesh was fine for rec games in the summer, but not approved for school games.

I will say, it is impossible to distingish from any distance away a difference. I only noticed it in the locker room afterwards.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
For HS in western MA (and also in my college games), we've been told that the "micro-mesh" is ok to wear, but that the larger "summer-style" mesh is not. The micro-mesh is actually two layers of very small mesh. It's much lighter than the regular polyester. I rotate between the micro-mesh and my Intera shirt. I like both, but I like the micro-mesh better. I've been using both for about a year, so I'm not sure how the micro-mesh holds up. Give it another season to see if it comes apart on me.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

They're certainly 'legal' (at least in OH), but in my opinion they don't look as white. Sit in the stands one night and look at two officials standing together, one with mesh and one with polyester. You'll definitely be able to tell who's wearing the mesh. I won't say they look yellowish, but they certainly don't look as white.

They're cooler, though
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rob.wilson
Wink

In Virgina, we can only wear them in scrimmages or in camps. Our board prefers us to wear the cotton. How about pleated pants?
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Wink uh oh

Oh no...whatever you do, don't ask about wearing belts....please
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rob.wilson
Talking

No belts allowed!
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Pleated Pants

My chapter has "encouraged" everyone to go to the pleated pants. They're much more comfortable, and I find it easier to move around in them. The extra material is great. I still have an old pair of flat-fronts that I use for kids games and as my back-up pants.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

mico-mesh at a distance looks more grey than white. To me it looks like it is dirty.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

HERE WE GO ON THE PANTS THING AGAIN!! I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR "NO BELT" PANTS FOR A COUPLE WEEKS, AND IF THEY ARE THE NEW TREND AS I'VE BEEN TOLD, THEN WHY SO HARD TO FIND??

ONLY ON THE NET AND THEN YOU MUST GET THEM SEWN TO YOUR SIZE. WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Have you looked at http://www.honigs.com for those pants?
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know about the rest of the country, but around here most men's clothing stores and department stores carry black Sans-a-belt pants. I got mine at a local men's clothing store. Walked in, told them what I wanted, tried on a pair, had them marked to be hemmed, and picked them up the next day on the way to my game. Couldn't have been easier.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 08:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb TPS2859, here are several places.

Gerry Davis Sports
http://www.gerrydavis.com/

The Official's Choice
http://www.theofficialschoiceinc.com/

Purchase Officials Supplies
http://www.purchaseofficials.com/

GetOfficial.com
http://www.getofficial.com/

+POS
http://www.pluspos.com/

All of them sell beltless pants. Most of them sell the best kind, Sansabelt. And all of them have a number you can call as well, if you do not want to order online.

Not sure what issue you are having.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
If you wear a black shirt under the micromesh it helps whitten it up. Also the Cliff Keen Micromesh is more white and more black than Honigs. I do not know why. My last micromesh went 3 seasons before the wrinkles stopped washing out and what not. I'm hoping the Cliff Keen will go longer. At our next meeting I will probably pick up a polyester AND polycotton. Which do you guys prefer?To me they look sharper. I have two micromeshes that I rotate now. It'd be nice to not have to wash shirts everynight though. the varsity crew that had the floor after us last night had all poly/cottons or all poly and to me it looked sharper. Im just debating betweein polycotton or 100 Poly. Which do you guys prefer?
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 10:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by TPS2859
HERE WE GO ON THE PANTS THING AGAIN!! I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR "NO BELT" PANTS FOR A COUPLE WEEKS, AND IF THEY ARE THE NEW TREND AS I'VE BEEN TOLD, THEN WHY SO HARD TO FIND??

ONLY ON THE NET AND THEN YOU MUST GET THEM SEWN TO YOUR SIZE. WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT.
This has got to be a joke. New trend? I've been wearing beltless pants since I started working basketball -- 16 years ago. They are hardly new or "just becoming a trend." BTW, Honig's will hem them for a fee. Or take them to any dry cleaner/alteration place and have them done in minutes.

Rich
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

As already stated almost every mens store will have them. I buy them from a local store and the service is great. Plus they will tailor them as I loose weight, (somethng I am working hard on)and my waist changes. Around here thay have a few different styles but I prefer sansbelt.