The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I have always started the clock when a non jumper touches it. Is it legally touched when a jumper taps it or when a non jumper touches it? The rule book states that the clock starts when the ball is legally touched. I consider this a rather embarassing question, but please tell me where I can find somewhere in my rule book, case book, simplified rules or officials manual a reference to when the clock should be started on a jump ball or when the official should chop the start the clock signal.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by WAZebra
I have always started the clock when a non jumper touches it. Is it legally touched when a jumper taps it or when a non jumper touches it? The rule book states that the clock starts when the ball is legally touched. I consider this a rather embarassing question, but please tell me where I can find somewhere in my rule book, case book, simplified rules or officials manual a reference to when the clock should be started on a jump ball or when the official should chop the start the clock signal.
You already found the reference-- the clock starts when the ball is legally touched. if the jumpers aren't excluded, they must be included in the definition of "legally touched". Don't be embarrassed to ask -- the only stupid questions are the ones by parents who want us to tell them that "those stupid refs should never have called that on their little Johnnie." Any sincere question from a real ref is always welcome.
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 01:26pm
Esteemed Participant

Holy cow!!! Another official on this board from Southwest Washington!!! There goes the neighborhood!

Seriously, WAZebra - where are you located and what association do you work for??
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

I'm glad I saw this question as I was about to ask it myself.

Thanks for asking.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

The ball becomes live when the referee releases the toss.

The clock starts when either jumper legally touches the ball.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to OldCoachNewRef
What if neither jumper touches the ball and ball hits the floor? Does clock start when ball touches floor? (either jumper may pick it up at this time). I've seen this on free throws (everyone boxes, ball takes odd bounce over everyone's head) and hits floor before anyone touches.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OldCoachNewRef
What if neither jumper touches the ball and ball hits the floor?
You toss it again.
Old Thu Dec 18, 2003, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
And the clock should still show 16:00. (Outside of MA, it should show 8:00, I guess). Well, unless it's OT, in which case it should show 4:00, even in MA. All that's for FED, the NCAA uses a 5 minute OT, like the NBA.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Dec 18th, 2003 at 01:48 PM]
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

Ball on floor with no touch by jumpers = rejump. one of the jumpers must touch the ball, but no more than two times.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
And the clock should still show 16:00. (Outside of MA, it should show 8:00, I guess). Well, unless it's OT, in which case it should show 4:00, even in MA. All that's for FED, the NCAA uses a 5 minute OT, like the NBA.

[Edited by ChuckElias on Dec 18th, 2003 at 01:48 PM]
In CT only the Prep Schools play 16:00 minute halves with shot clocks (35 boys, 30 girls). They play under their own interpretation of the NCAA rules (WNEPSA). When you are doing the 16:00 minute halves as opposed to the 8:00 quarter, the time seems to fly.
Old Fri Dec 19, 2003, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
When you are doing the 16:00 minute halves as opposed to the 8:00 quarter, the time seems to fly.
Basically, the 16 minute halves simply eliminate one "mandatory" time-out from each half. That's a good enough reason to use halves, right there.