The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

I'm a newbie. Just called my 3rd game, ever, this past Saturday.

I know this has been discussed under a different thread, but I wanted to start a new discussion on it. My performance at my last game is what prompted me to begin this discussion.

During half-time I asked my partner, who's a more senior official than I, if we should tighten it up a little. I thought things were getting a little rough, but was unsure of myself. He said no. I was the Ref that game. My question is, does the Ref have the reponsibility to get his crew to tighten up the game when he/she thinks the game is getting out of hand? If so, how does a rookie go about accomplishing this with a more experienced ref?

Also, I know some have said that you call your game, no matter the style of your partner. However, it seems to me that that can make the game seem one-sided. If the lead is calling it tight and the trail is letting them play, then one team is going to get penalized more than the other. It seems to me that the officials need to be consistent.

One more thing. This was my first 9th grade game. I've done 2 middle school games. There is a big difference in the skill set between the two. Any advice on how to modify your officiating style to match the level of play?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by rwest
My question is, does the Ref have the reponsibility to get his crew to tighten up the game when he/she thinks the game is getting out of hand? If so, how does a rookie go about accomplishing this with a more experienced ref?
You mention it. You try to get on the same page. If you can't get on the same page, then just keep calling your game, no matter the style of your partner.

Quote:
Also, I know some have said that you call your game, no matter the style of your partner. However, it seems to me that that can make the game seem one-sided. If the lead is calling it tight and the trail is letting them play, then one team is going to get penalized more than the other.
That's why we switch after every foul. Hopefully, you see each team equally when you switch consistently. So even if you're calling more fouls, hopefully, you call them on one team, then the other, etc. as you switch positions.

Quote:
Any advice on how to modify your officiating style to match the level of play?
Just keep working games. Keep seeing plays. That's the only real way. As you do it more, you will get more accustomed to the level of play. Good luck.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Any advice on how to modify your officiating style to match the level of play?
Just keep working games. Keep seeing plays. That's the only real way. As you do it more, you will get more accustomed to the level of play. Good luck.
The way to speed up the process is to go and watch other officials work games at these levels. Watch a variety of officials at a variety of levels. Or choose one official and watch several different types of their games. Consciously, verbally describe the game to yourself play-by-play and the ref's reactions. "Dribbler very fast, defender close, oops! a little too close, bump, but no-call. Dribbler recovers and breaks for the basket. Defender swings, gets the arm, tweet!, but basket good anyway." etc. PS do it quietly so the fans don't hear you!
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I'm a newbie. Just called my 3rd game, ever, this past Saturday.

I know this has been discussed under a different thread, but I wanted to start a new discussion on it. My performance at my last game is what prompted me to begin this discussion.

During half-time I asked my partner, who's a more senior official than I, if we should tighten it up a little. I thought things were getting a little rough, but was unsure of myself. He said no. I was the Ref that game. My question is, does the Ref have the reponsibility to get his crew to tighten up the game when he/she thinks the game is getting out of hand? If so, how does a rookie go about accomplishing this with a more experienced ref?

Also, I know some have said that you call your game, no matter the style of your partner. However, it seems to me that that can make the game seem one-sided. If the lead is calling it tight and the trail is letting them play, then one team is going to get penalized more than the other. It seems to me that the officials need to be consistent.

One more thing. This was my first 9th grade game. I've done 2 middle school games. There is a big difference in the skill set between the two. Any advice on how to modify your officiating style to match the level of play?

Thanks in advance for your input.

These are all great questions. Here's my $.02:

- When you think the game is not going the way you want it to try to be more specific. "#32 on white is handchecking on every drive" or "hey, we missed a few obvious illegal screens on blue in that half". If there's too much badness going on to make a list then you might say "hey partner, sloppy on both sides, let's try and clean this thing up in the first few minutes of the second half". Impotant that if you have this discussion then you go out there & do what you said you would.

- In 2 man if you're not calling the same game then the guy who's not blowing needs to lower his trigger a bit, the guy who is blowing needs to raise his trigger a bit, hopefuly you'll both get on about the same page. Doesn't always happen though. At this point in your development I would not worry too much about this.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
"hey, we missed a few obvious illegal screens on blue in that half".
I hope you've never actually called an illegal screen
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Nah, I call 'em a couch. ( backatchya)
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow Consistency !!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Rwest, you have to be yourself. We all have our own styles. You have some guys already have called aleast a 100 collage games, but they couldn't get a High School Varsity Game to save their life. You hang around lone enough, you'll know when to bring a lunch and when to bring a snack!! BTW, I had a partner the other week who told the players, during the captains conference, we're going to call it close. Before the game started, I asked him, "How do you know, how I'm going to call it?" And I said, never tell a player or a coach how you are going to call a game. And if you do, speak for yourself!
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Larry, I'm not sure why you quoted my post in your last response. Just to be clear, my comment about not calling illegal screens was completely tongue in cheek and was directed specifically at Dan.

Although there is no foul that is specifically called an "illegal screen", we all know that when contact occurs on a screen that not legally set (and the contact provides an advantage for the player), a personal foul should be called.

I hope you didn't take my "joke" to mean that illegal screens should be disregarded. Sorry for any confusion.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
I hope you didn't take my "joke" to mean that illegal screens should be disregarded. Sorry for any confusion.
No need to apologize, Chuck, we've gotten used to it!
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 02:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

The Referee position is at best a ceremonial position. There are things a Referee is suppose to do that no one else can by rule, but it is so rare that even becomes an issue. So no, as Referee you do not have the right to tell anyone how to call the game. You are equal after the ball is thrown up and you can say whatever no matter what your position is. I tend you be an outspoken person, and depending on who I am working with, I might speak up regardless of whether I am the Referee or Umpire that game. Same goes for the veteran officials I know.

Quote:

I think at this stage of your career, you need to just call what you see and not think much more than that. For the most part you have to call your game, but when certain things are being called by your partners, if you see what they have called, you might watch certain "problem" areas to hopefully make similar calls. But just because your partner had an illegal screen, does not mean you will be in a position to call one yourself. You are always better off calling your game. For the most part this is never an issue that I see.

Quote:

Experience. Seeing plays, calling the game at that level and above. There is no magic bullet to calling ball at a higher level, other than watching and officiating games at that level. I think you should go watch a few varsity games to see what the "veterans" are doing and what they are calling. I will help you get used to the game properly and you can learn. Also watch college basketball on TV as well. You will start to understand what is acceptable and you will see advantage/disadvantage called. It will help you learn what to call and what not to call. The older the kids are, the more physical they are. And you just cannot call something because contact occurs. You have to call what affects the play.

Hope that helps.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 02:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
I know that you are used to it, Juulie, but rwest is fairly new and with 3 games ever under his belt, I wanted to make sure that he didn't mistake my sarcasm for advice.

Not that anybody here ever takes my advice. . .
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to rob.wilson
These are things you discuss at half time or due timeouts. I too am a first year official but I have been put in the Referee spot several times now. I make sure my partner knows that we are in this together and we need each other. Remember, there are 3 teams on the floor, team a, team b and the team of officials!
Old Wed Dec 17, 2003, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rob.wilson
I too am a first year official but I have been put in the Referee spot several times now.
See JR's comments above, about the Referee position.