The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Ok maybe this is something I should be talking to one of my mentors about but outside opinon never hurts.

How do you become a less dominont official. Im only working 2 man Sub-Varsity this season, and probably on into next season :-/ it'll happen one day. but if theres ever a double whistle I WANT THE CALL! Adn I usually try and take it. Part of it is my personality. I've always heard it takes some arrogance to do this and sometimes I wonder if I have a touch to much. I want to toss, I want to R - I want the call if theres a double whistle. Some people said this will benefiity me when I try to move up, so far I dont think I've pissed any of my partners with because they say if i ever need a partner to give them a call but its just something that I'd like to personally change. I do give up some calls but they are VERY rare.

Thanks for the input guys.

Maybe this has something to do with me being 5'8"
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

hey Ace, your confidence is definitely a plus. If a there is a double whistle, then someone is calling in their primary area and someone isn't, the one who isn't calling in their primary area should usually give up the call. There are exceptions, taking a dribbler from your area to the basket and such. These gray areas should be pregamed as to who will release, otherwise usually give it to the primary, unless it is a violation/foul double whistle at which point you need to get together and talk..violation before foul, foul caused violation...etc...good luck
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
John,

Slow down! Whenever you blow the whistle find your partner before you report anything. See his/her actions on the play. If there is a double whistle, nothing will happen until one of you takes the call. Therefore, don't be in such a hurry to take it. Think about where the play developed, and who had the better look.

The good thing is that you realize that you probably need to learn to yield to your partner occasionally. This helps with the perception of the crew for everyone in the building. The mark of being a good official is not how many calls he makes, but how many quality calls he makes. In order for you to take every double whistle, there will be situations where your call will not be the quality call for the crew, even if you both have the same thing.

Next game, if your partner has at least half a clue, tell yourself before the game starts that he/she gets first shot at the double whistles. This will let your partner feel that they are a part of the crew, and it will help your reputation among the subvarsity officials that you work with. If you get labeled by the other officials as a "call hog", many will not want to work with you and you will not see their best efforts.

I will be working on your side of town both Tuesday and Friday.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

I think it's important to realize the context of the game you're in, as well as, your partner(s) you are working with.

Dominance can really get you in trouble with some supervisors.

Are you reaching out of your area and trying to take the call? The official who ends up reporting should be the one whose area it initiated in (3-person) or comes to (2-person).

Despite these guidelines, when I work with a jr. official and there's a double whistle I might offer him/her the call if it's a no-brainer or take it myself if I think there's going to be comments coming from coaches.

I think dominance also implies either you don't have confidence in your partner(s) or you want to steal the show (i.e. arrogance). Be very careful because neither of these attributes will endear you to supervisors. It's a good thing that you recognize your tendencies and have a desire to correct it.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ace

If so, there are several guys on this board (whose names will go unmentioned) that have a lot of work to do!
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ace

If so, there are several guys on this board (whose names will go unmentioned) that have a lot of work to do!
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Also, keep in mind

There are sometimes streaks where one official will have two or three calls in a row. We pregame this so if we have a double whistle on the next foul the person who hasn't had any recent calls will take it.

I generally only have a small number of double whistles each game; two to four. If I had a partner who took every one of them (especially if there were out of his/her primary) I'd get a little steamed. We'd talk about it at halftime or the end of the game.

Maybe I'm not as patient as I should be.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ace

I'm 6'4".

I'm not sure how tall the woodchuck is.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ace

I'm 6'4".

I'm not sure how tall the woodchuck is.
As reference, the drawing is approximately to scale.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by ace
but if theres ever a double whistle I WANT THE CALL! Adn I usually try and take it.
My first question, Ace, is how often are you getting double whistles? Is this a regular occurance in your games? If so, then you're not working your primary hard enough. Double whistles in a 2-whistle system should be fairly rare. In a settled frontcourt situation, the only time you should have a double whistle is when there's action right in front of the basket -- rebounding and put backs, when most of the players are gathered there anyway.

And in that situation, the Lead official takes the call, period. It's not about who the "dominant" personality is. If you have a double whistle, the official in whose primary it occured will take it to the table (with rare exceptions).

Get out of the mindset that "I got it! I got it!" and get into a team mindset that says, "Ok, we got it! Go report, I got the players."

Quote:
I want to toss, I want to R - I want the call if theres a double whistle.
Let me tell you about a guy in my area. He and I started out around the same time. Around here, when you're just starting out, most of your assignments are 2-game sets where the first game is a 5th/6th grade game and the second is a 7th/8th grade game.

Now, this guy thinks so much of himself that he would "casually" offer to let his partner toss for the first game. You know why he did this? B/c he needed to be the R for the "big time" 7th/8th grade game. I mean, come on.

Don't be that guy, Ace. He could be the nicest guy in the world, but it makes him look like a head case. If you're good enough to be out there, that's all that matters. And if you're really R material, then you can offer your help and advice in a sticky situation anyway. Will I be excited when I'm the R for the first time at the D3 level? You bet. But does it bother me that I'm "only" U1? No freakin' way. Somebody thinks I'm good enough to be on an NCAA court -- as part of a team. I'll step up anytime I'm needed, whether I'm the R or not.

Quote:
It doesn't.

Good luck, man.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 11:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]

[/B][/QUOTE]Now, that's a low blow! No wonder he's grumpy!

Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
[/B]
Now, that's a low blow! No wonder he's grumpy![/B][/QUOTE]
I was worried at first b/c I thought the short jokes were directed at me. You guys can't be talking about me, however, since I'm feeling perfectly affable this fine morning.
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 11:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
[/B]
You guys can't be talking about me, however, since I'm feeling perfectly affable this fine morning.

[/B][/QUOTE]Yup, you look like you're in a good mood.

Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

... I'm feeling Perfectly Affable this fine morning.
2 questions - is that like her stage name, and does your wife know about his?
Old Tue Dec 16, 2003, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

... I'm feeling Perfectly Affable this fine morning.
That's some subtle editing there, Dan!