The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Hi - got a question. I know the rules are pretty clear on what is team control and player control. If a player loses a ball, and the other team does not secure control, it is still considered to be "in control" of the team who last had team control.

If Team A is in control in their frontcourt, and a ball is knocked loose by the other team (not gaining control, just tipping it out, so to speak) and it goes into the backcourt, is it a backcourt violation if team A retrieves it in in the backcourt? Most people signal that there was a tip, and allow them to retrieve it. The way I read the rules, it is a backcourt violation. This comes up all the time in the league I run (where I am training the refs, also... high school intramural league), and I want to make sure I get it right.

Can you provide a rules reference either way? Thanks!

Dave Rinke
Northwest PA Collegiate Academy
Intramurals Director
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii
Hi - got a question. I know the rules are pretty clear on what is team control and player control. If a player loses a ball, and the other team does not secure control, it is still considered to be "in control" of the team who last had team control.
They still have team control. You have to look at the rules regarding team control and when it ends. Team control ends when the opponent gains possession, the ball is shot or the ball becomes dead. If none of these three things happen, the team that last had possession still has team control.

Quote:
If Team A is in control in their frontcourt, and a ball is knocked loose by the other team (not gaining control, just tipping it out, so to speak) and it goes into the backcourt, is it a backcourt violation if team A retrieves it in in the backcourt? Most people signal that there was a tip, and allow them to retrieve it. The way I read the rules, it is a backcourt violation. This comes up all the time in the league I run (where I am training the refs, also... high school intramural league), and I want to make sure I get it right.
It's only a BC violation if A is the last to touch the ball before it goes into the BC and the first to touch it after it's been in the BC.

Quote:
Can you provide a rules reference either way?
NF 9-9
Old Sun Dec 14, 2003, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by drinkeii
They still have team control. You have to look at the rules regarding team control and when it ends. Team control ends when the opponent gains possession, the ball is shot or the ball becomes dead. If none of these three things happen, the team that last had possession still has team control.

Quote:
It's only a BC violation if A is the last to touch the ball before it goes into the BC and the first to touch it after it's been in the BC.

Quote:
Can you provide a rules reference either way?
NF 9-9
Ok - so it is an exception to the team control going into the backcourt, or rather, a wording difference... if it is poked loose by B1, and A(anyone) gets it in the backcourt, it's ok.... but if it is poked loose by B1, and then bumped or otherwise touched by A(anyone) before going back over the line, and then A(anyone) gets it, it is a backcourt violation?
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Yes, but it isn't an exception, it's just the rule. If A is the last to touch the ball before it goes into the BC, then A caused the ball to go into the BC. It's no different than causing the ball to go OOB.
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Ok, thanks!
Old Mon Dec 15, 2003, 08:49am
Get away from me, Steve.

This does happen pretty often -- picture B1 slapping the ball out of A1 hands and the ball going off of A1's leg and into the backcourt. If A1 recovers, it is a violation.